Baby axies in the classroom :D

Minniechild

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Caitie
Hey all!
Unfortunately, my silly buggers haven't popped out a bunch of eggies for me (I'm beginning to wonder if they're all boys...), however, my person at the LFS has had his son's axies drop 200 babies, and he's offered ten to me *yay!* (btw, if anyone wants baby axies (2cm, no limbs yet), go into river reef and ask-he'll sell them cheap! :D)
So I'm picking them up on Wednesday (using Tuesday to get the tank and brine shrimp hatchery going), they'll be hanging out in the 20L breeder (speaking of which, anyone want to adopt my murderous zebrafish? Be warned, he bites!) in the classroom, and in a few tupperware containers over the weekend :D
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts to activities, or had videos of axies in their eggs? (I've found the axolotl.org photo log and the wassermoster video, but anything extra would be well appreciated :D

Introducing some of the six babies currently living in the classroom, nomming blackworms and overall doing quite well.
So far, the only major issue has been with hands going into the tank *Sigh*. Any thoughts?
(P.S, the little black one up the top is Libby, who is MINE!!!)

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 167
Put it up higher out of the reach of little hands. You can put the tank at their eye level, and the top will be out of reach.

Or put a locking lid on it. I can't see little ones being able to manipulate tank clips. Heck, I can hardly get them off!

Thanks for the suggestions! Sadly, the main culprit (Special Needs) is a terrifying climber, so moving it out of his reach wouldn't make a difference, apart from adding an extra element of danger...As to tank clips...Got a link? The tank we're using is a 20L breeder, with a mesh and wood lid on the top, but no lip for a flush lid...Gak!

I've used them on my snake tanks for years. I prefer the ones that have that shape versus ones that are L shaped; they're easier to remove.

Awesome! Hopefully dad's put some through for me :D.
Quick update, LEGS!!! Three of them (all wild types/coppery ones) have their front legs, one looks like their back legs.
The other three are quite a bit smaller, and Libby (my personal panic who will be staying with me for the rest of her life :) ) has been floating curved up and sideways since I got her home (Not to mention I was able to catch her with virtually no effort....) I tried the barely submerged feeding trick, but she's still looking pretty gak... Any additional thoughts? They're currently fed a combo of who and chopped blackworms, but I'm thinking brine shrimp for Libby might be the way to go (?)

Another update, Libby passed away last night *sniff* (First axie I've lost, and after an exhausting and at times horrible week, so much sadness on my part), but the others are doing a bit better. Any thoughts on how to get the two smaller ones to plump up a bit more quickly?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back