Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Yeah, I don't know what to call this thread.

allegoriest

Reaction score
Well. This isn't a question. This is more a WHOOOOA, WHAT JUST HAPPENED.

I keep a spray bottle and cup and chopsticks on top of my salamander house. So whenever I reach for them, he knows. I took the bottle and started moving the screen on top, and he stood on two legs. Like, imagine a begging dachshund. It was like that. He had no support, and just... DID IT. (Usuually, he tries it, and falls onto something.) And no, there were no pics. ;__; *despair*

You get an extra cricket, Edvhard. You crazy little dude.

...Am I praising him for nothing? Do salamanders do this? I have no idea.

tmarmoratus

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What's the species? My kweichow will climb up the sides with it's front legs begging for food, but I've seen any caudate outright lift off like that without support. That's pretty awesome.

grius

Reaction score
Do you mean tripod? like some monitor species do. My largest c.e.popei have done that 2-3times during feeding, standing straight up with the hands free in the air 5-10second (but with suport by tail of curse) trying to reach the woodlice from the twezeer.And I can agree that it looks pretty awesome. Next time i shall take a picture.

Last edited:

allegoriest

Reaction score
He's a tiger. He does it all night, with his little hands on the glass, staring at me. But he's never done it without holding onto anything.

Usually when I feed him, he just jumps at me, and misses, falling on his face, or into his pool.

I think I've seen some reptiles do it. But I have never kept one. :(

I just never have seen him so.... graceful.

grius

Reaction score
My tigers does that to, or stands over the front hanging out with their heads begging for food. I have never seen one of them tripod thou. That must have been an exciting sight.

For how long did he stand like that?

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had a Eurycea guttolineata that would stand on it's back legs whilst picking off fruit flies from the lid of it's tank.

mark-albums-photos-picture16551-standing.jpg

allegoriest

Reaction score
He was holding it still for several seconds. However, I was already reaching in, so I don't know if he could have held it longer. I broke his concentration with delicious crickets.

Maybe the dachshund is teaching him tricks. Even though she's not supposed to do that.
Actually, I don't know where she learnt that either. o_O

He's the only salamander I've seen, so I really don't know what exactly they're supposed to do.

grius

Reaction score
Nice capture Mark! I`shall have the camera ready during next feeding.

Molch

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know what to call this thread

how about "Salamander gymnastics"?

My firebellies (C. pyrrhogaster) will bite my finger tips when I stick them in the water and will hang on as I lift them out of the tank. At one point, for only a few seconds, I had ALL FOUR hanging off my hand.

Someday I'll try to get a pic of that :)

allegoriest

Reaction score
Awww, its so cute~ and awesome.

Mine likes to do that too. Then we both have this AHHHHHHHH moment where he realises he bit something not for dinner, and it has him, and I'm in this AHH BEING BITTEN moment.

But four? That's insane.

And, this is gonna be the most ridiculous question ever. But...... Where am I? I was looking for a general-y forum, and kinda thought the other was it. but this place is better. (yay mods!) But ...How do I get to... this place from the main page? O____o?

Molch

Reaction score
But four? That's insane.

yeah..it was a strange glorious moment of total One-ness with my newts.

As for where we are, I have no idea either. I can't find this thread when going to the main forums page.

maybe it exists only in our heads?:wacko:

grius

Reaction score
Someday I'll try to get a pic of that :)

I would like to see that. Four pyrro at the same time is a little extreme. So my tigers holding on to a twezeer some seconds is not something to brag about now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1