Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to the site

MurphysLaw

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :happy: My name is Amanda. I am "momma" to many critters, including a skink, tarantula, rat, rabbit, dogs, frogs, fish, turtles, crawdads, flying squirrels, and mud puppies. (I also have 2 sons, aged 3 and 10. They are part of the reason we have so many pets!) The mud puppies are what I really need information on. While at a pond gathering frog eggs one day, we found what I decided were mud puppy eggs. They were already pretty well formed, and I could see their little gills. We got a few and took them home. Soon we had tiny mud puppies scurrying around the bottom of the aquarium. We have had them for about 3 months now. I'm not really sure what they are eating though. I have tried fish food and pellets. I'm not sure if they are eating it or not. Does anyone raise mud puppies or have any suggestions about diet or anything else I need to know to keep them healthy? Thanks, and I look forward to exploring this site more! :)

smily sam

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :happy: My name is Amanda. I am "momma" to many critters, including a skink, tarantula, rat, rabbit, dogs, frogs, fish, turtles, crawdads, flying squirrels, and mud puppies. (I also have 2 sons, aged 3 and 10. They are part of the reason we have so many pets!) The mud puppies are what I really need information on. While at a pond gathering frog eggs one day, we found what I decided were mud puppy eggs. They were already pretty well formed, and I could see their little gills. We got a few and took them home. Soon we had tiny mud puppies scurrying around the bottom of the aquarium. We have had them for about 3 months now. I'm not really sure what they are eating though. I have tried fish food and pellets. I'm not sure if they are eating it or not. Does anyone raise mud puppies or have any suggestions about diet or anything else I need to know to keep them healthy? Thanks, and I look forward to exploring this site more! :)
Welcome to the forum Amanda:D
What type of turtles do you have.
I advise live dathnia or baby brine shrimp for your mud puppie larvae.
Sam:happy:

MurphysLaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the advise, Sam! I will try to get some daphnia & brine shrimp ASAP. I live in a small town and am not close to a big pet store. I wonder if I can order them online?

I have box turtles and a stinkpot. What kind of pets do you have?

Last edited:

smily sam

Reaction score
I have axolotls, common musk turtles (stinkpot) fish and guinea pigs.
Your flying squirral sounds intresting.
Sam:happy:

MurphysLaw

Reaction score
So you have a stink pot, too. What size of a tank do you keep yours in? I just got mine a few weeks ago, and haven't really gotten a permanent set up for him yet. I'm also not sure how deep the water should be. I tried putting him in my 55 gallon tank with some fish, but he went to the bottom and acted like he couldn't get back to the top for air. I feed him earth worms. Is there anything else I should be giving him?
What exactly are axolotls? I've looked em up and they looked kinda like mud puppies...
And yes, the flying squirrels are very interesting. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1