Feeding heart...

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Rachel
i have had my axies for a few months now and they are happy and healthy and in really good condition.

I know earth worms are the best diet for them, but it's freezing winter here and i can't find any in the garden (apparently they go dormant past a certain temperature), and pet shops here don't sell live food.

My axies do not go for pellets, and i have found them really messy because they just sit there and foul the water. I am feeding them small chunks of lamb heart that i cut up and froze. They love it and seem to be very healthy... good size, active, eating properly, long fluffy gills :happy:

I have heard of people feeding them heart for years with no issue, but i am concerned it is not the best diet for them. Is it ok just for a few more months till winter passes and i can get a worm farm going?

mammalian meat is too fatty for axolotls. it's ok to feed them some every once in a while, but earthworms are really the best diet for them.

i know its not ideal, and they are a bit plump! is there any long term effects of the fattiness? It will only be for another few months. Are there any alternatives to pellets? pet shops don't even do bloodworm.

I have the same problems, I feed mine beef heart when I can't find worms but I find it so messy and am also concered since I know it's not the best thing for them.

I can't even find axolotl pellets! I've been to about 5-6 different places so far and they all just say axie food is beef heart x.x

Have you tried pet barn? They sell live earthworms, meal worms, wax worms and frozen bloodworms. I got some(earthworms) yesterday....
City farmers also sell frozen bloodworms and the last time i was in one they had live bloodworms or they couldve been blackworms one or the other....

I would say if that is all you can get your hands on to feed them.... that is all you can do...they will be fat oompa loompas for a couple of months:D

I have my own worm farm, and yeah, they do go dormant in the cooler months. most camping and fishing stores should carry live worms for bait. I get mine from ray's outdoors, or BCF if you have them.

If you're in sydney, it's freezing there, I just got home yesterday from wollongong. and as you could imagine, driving up Mt Ousley at 5AM when it's raining, I was frozen. I was soo happy to step off the plane and take my hoodie off. it's so much warmer in Perth.

I feed my monsters heart occasionally, but only if I feel I need to fatten them up.

cool thanks for the suggestions! i found axolotl pellets on ebay

I'll check out rays outdoors for worms when I can then. I bought a box of 500 from bunnings but TBH I haven't got somewhere proper to keep them atm and it rained a lot and they all drowned.

I've checked out some bait shops looking for bloodworms and earthworms but they were like "The only worms we got is beach worms" o_o Why must things be so hard lol.

A proper worm farm is something I want to save for though, along with a chiller, and a car so I can drive myself around instead of relying on others :p

there is no need to save for a 'propper' one, they are easily made for around $5, and they will last for years.

Step by Step - How to make a worm farm

... you can use the top of a plastic water bottle (with lid) for the worm juice tap.

I will be setting mine up when it is a bit warmer :D

how did you keep your bunnings worms that drowned?

My Bunnings worms were in an old aquarium with damp newspaper on top and a plastic lid. The lid blew off the the rain flooded it =p

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out :)

i got some worms from petbarn (they are a mix of night crawlers, red and tiger) some of them they like more than others. I put them in an icecream tub with damp soil, newspaper and vegie scraps, and covered it with newspaper. Hopefully they will breed a bit so i can set up some proper worm bins.

THEY LOVE WORMS :eek:

Do you mind if I ask where you are? Do you know if there is a Pet Barn in Adelaide? I looked them up but couldn't find much :(

i am in wagga wagga, country town on the edge of NSW. Apparently none in adelaide :(

Petbarn - It's Everything For Pets!

you could just get them from bunnings again? It would probably be better anyway, mine were tiny, a lot of them were dead, they smelled terrible and they were expensive. But hopefully i can get them to grow and multiply.

A healthy worm farm will not smell bad, sort of like a damp forrest. They are fine to keep in doors if you are afraid of flooding.

Yea looks like I'll have to go to Bunnings again. I don't know if I'll be allowed to keep them inside though xD

I /might/ be able to get away with the laundry. My mum is pretty fussy about worms though xD She wont even let me talk about them haha

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back