Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

College Axie Lover

fishcakey

Reaction score
Hi, I've really been into axolotls recently and I would love to have one. But I'm worried. I'm a freshmen in college and living in a dorm, so I'm worried about the temperature of the tank. I'm kind of a newbie at tank temperatures, but I have a 10 gallon tank full of numerous fish now, so I understand how to clean and such. I'm just worried that college isn't the best place because I'll have to travel back and forth to home and the temperature change could cause a lot of stress for the axolotl, would it not? I don't really know how to maintain the temperatures on the road.

Do you think that axolotls are a good option for me?

Last edited:

Mandy6

Reaction score
I think I would avoid it until you don't need to travel back and foth so much. I imagine moving so much would be stressful as well as the constant tempreture changes. Someone more experienced might have more to add though =3

carsona246

Reaction score
Axolotls aren't community fish, and my dorm only allowed 1 20 gallon fish tank in our dorms. I'm a senior in college, and I have 2 axolotls, but I also live off campus. Having 1 axolotl in a twenty long would be an appropriate setup. I'd stick with something smaller though if I were you. Axolotls get pretty big, and keeping the tank cold might be problematic if your college ac is anything like mine was. Maybe try getting some smaller newts that can handle higher temps like cynops.
However if you really want axolotls I'm sure you can get an appropriate setup

fishcakey

Reaction score
Well, I don't plan on keeping my axolotl in my 10 gallon tank. I'm planning on getting a large bookshelf size tank and keep it in there alone. I'm just really worried about the temperature, does having an axolotl require a chiller?

HeatherFeather

Reaction score
Depending on where you are and the dorms, it could work fine! It also depends on how much you go home too I suppose. I plan to bring my axies back to college with me, and if you got a bigger tank they could be just fine. Our dorms are only really hot for a short amount of time in the fall, if at all, and the rest of the year they seem to be cool enough for them, so you might not need a chiller. As for taking it home, if you have a room mate, you could have them feed it on the weekends (I'm assuming you would just go home on the weekends). Otherwise, adults do not need to be fed every day and you might be able to get by feeding them right before you leave on a Friday and again when you get back on Sunday night.

It's manageable, it just takes some planning!

Mr Poseidon

Reaction score
Dayton, Oh (summer) Charleston SC (fall winter spr
I have an axi and im in college i stay in the dorms! just in case the AC ever stops i have ice bottles ready to go, but i live in SC so my ac is on most of the year. when i travel home to Ohio (13 hr drive) i put him in a container with air holes in it. then place that container in a cooler and check the temp ever hour or so, if it heats up i stop at the gas station and get some ice! my axi was fine after that and is still doing great! he was only 2in on his first journey across the east coast!

it can be done!!! Good Luck

fishcakey

Reaction score
Thanks that is soo helpful! I guess I'll have to have ice bottles set up, and of course there is an ice maker down the hall. Now I just gotta find the place to put my axie in tiny dorm rooms :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1