Fake plants dyed the tank water...

Loobylou

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Sammy
So I set up a tank about a month ago and brought a load of stuff for it. All the plants were soaked for a minimum of 24 hours before I added them to the tank to make sure they would not leech any dye into the water. They were fine for about 3 weeks, then a week ago they started turning the water green.

The tank has now been cycled thanks to my goldfish, but does anyone know if the dye will hurt the axie? I've been doing small water changes everyday (10%) to try and get the dye to go, but the water is still kinda green.

So... has anyone had this problem and would it be safe to put my axie in? Or will I have to completely empty and re-cycle the tank?

Where is your tank situated?

It could always be alge unless you have actually noticed the change?

If you are certain that it's not algae, then I might guess that, over time, whatever coating held the dye in has worn away, thus the delayed-release from the plants. This shouldn't happen if these plastic plants are meant for fishtanks, so I wonder what brand they are. If you're positive that the color is coming from the plants, it might be worthwhile to remove them. I don't know whether dyes (or what kinds of dyes) hurt axolotls, but I would worry about what might be dissolving in the water. Were these plants definitely sold for use in aquatic tanks? (I just ask because I've never heard of this happening before).

If you are certain that it's not algae, then I might guess that, over time, whatever coating held the dye in has worn away, thus the delayed-release from the plants. This shouldn't happen if these plastic plants are meant for fishtanks, so I wonder what brand they are. If you're positive that the color is coming from the plants, it might be worthwhile to remove them. I don't know whether dyes (or what kinds of dyes) hurt axolotls, but I would worry about what might be dissolving in the water. Were these plants definitely sold for use in aquatic tanks? (I just ask because I've never heard of this happening before).

They were the marina silk plants like below:

Google

I guess we'll be emptying out the tank tomorrow and boil washing the plants to make sure there is no more dye that's going to colour the water.

i don't think they're from the plants. it's more likely waterborne algae.

If they are from the plants then this definitely needs to be brought up to hagen (marina) as the product is being used for its intended purpose, and has a major defect. Any decor designed for the aquarium shouldn't leech dye, so it needs to be brought to the manufacturer's attention. Hagen is a reputable international company so they will likely address your concerns asap.

As for waterborne algae, it looks like this:
http://www.fishpondinfo.com/photos/fish/tanks/algae1.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_dLGw_s0RLUw/STjpw7Jl0mI/AAAAAAAACAs/Erp2u15gxig/s400/IMG_2613.JPG
http://www.freewebs.com/drbogger/images/before_large.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0Js4q23LxSc/SWgB6Ko4b9I/AAAAAAAAAec/nFA8dbT0tOE/s320/aquarium+algae.png

If you are sure it's from the plants, I would remove them and not put them back after the water change. I wouldn't bother trying to boil them to get rid of it.

Thank you for posting that link. Before now, I'd only heard of silk plants for terrestrial tanks. I didn't know they were being sold for aquariums, too. Sounds like you're getting on top of the problem, though.

Thank you for posting that link. Before now, I'd only heard of silk plants for terrestrial tanks. I didn't know they were being sold for aquariums, too. Sounds like you're getting on top of the problem, though.

I went back to shop I got them from and explained the problem, the manager told me that 2 other people had returned the same pack of plants that I had saying that it had also turned their tank water green.

It was only 1 plant out of the pack that caused the problem in the first place so I've kept the other plants and the water has stayed clear so far. As the guy in the shop had no idea whether the dye would affect axolotls (although it doesn't affect fish as my goldfish who were cycling the tank for me were all happy and healthy) I had to empty the entire tank of water and rinse everything. Bye bye cycled tank...

I have a silk plant in my tank as well. (The first one you see when you open the link) but I never had a problem with them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back