Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mandy
I was on deviantart and this came up in my messages

Wild Colored Axolotls on #Axolotl-Love - deviantART

Such an unusual colour!

The gravel worries me though so I left them a comment :( I hope they take it into consideration, I've commented people before about gravel and just got answers like "Oh the gravel looks smaller in the picture, my axie can't swallow it" or "My axie doesn't eat the gravel" :(

I hope they listen but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one I'm afraid.
It's a normal wild but the GFP gives it a pretty green colour. He/she is very pretty

Yea, really pretty. I'd never seen one that green before :eek: I do hope they listen but I'm not holding out on it :(

WOW i have a lot of gfp axolotls and have seen a lot of gfp axolotl pictures and never has one looked anything like that.

It looks kinds like a pickel... but really cute

So they replied to my comment

"I've had little ones on this gravel before with no problem and I have a bowl for his food so he is not just snapping at gravel. Big gravel should be fine because he won't be able to swallow it and have it clog his insides."

-sigh- Just because you haven't had problems before doesn't mean it wont happen :(

people make me sad. I'd try again anyway, maybe link that page with all the horror stories and x-ray images (it's on here somewhere). Surely it's not worth the risk of killing your axie, just for the sake of a quick substrate change!?

Yea I commented them agian, that's a good idea, I'll see if I can find that page

You've done all you can unfortunately which is a bit sad for such a pretty green axie :(
"I've had little ones on this gravel before
In fairness if he only has the little ones on that gravel and he moves them off before they get much bigger the risk with most of those pebbles is fairly minimal. MOST of them do look to be slightly bigger than that particular axies head. That said I can see a couple of little ones along the front of the tank (well buried thankfully) that would be perfect for clogging up a little axie and where there is one there are no doubt more. All you can do at this point is hope it doesn't swallow any and that he takes it off the pebbles before it get's big enough to swallow the others. :(

:rofl: A pickle! Now that you mention it :happy:

Yea, that's why I mentioned in the original comment that why it might be ok now once he gets bigger it could be a problem, and since so many peple have stuff that they say "My axie couldn't swallow it" when they actually could i wouldn't want them to be kept on any sort of gravel when older D=

But you are right that that's all I can do so I linked a couple of articles and its up to them now.

And I chuckled at that pickle comment xD I'd like one like that to name Pickle now! :rofl:

Sigh... its annoying when you see this. But I made this same mistake when I first bought my axi... the pet shop told me to... but I also listened to you guys when you told me to swap to sand.

I actually prefer sand myself over gravel as a look, it reminds me of the beach.

Yea, I had gravel when I first got my axie too, but as soon as I found out about the dangers of it it was gone lol.

-sigh-
I wouldnt hold your breath. People on DA tend to get either defensive, pissed, rude or they take your advise. By the way you replied to your owb pop n coment so unless they check the page they wont see it (although they do have th re noob behaviour or replying in a separate comment)

Pickle is an awesome name!

:( They've just hidden all the comments about it now

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back