Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help! ordered axolotl were real hot

browen33w

Reaction score
Ordered 2 axolotls and was happy to hear that they would be over nighted.. but when they got to my door they were over 95 degrees!!!!!! i put them in the frig but i dont knwo what to do! btw they are little only 3 inches at most.

ZoeT94

Reaction score
I'm guessing you are talking in farrenheight?

If you can, stick them in the fridge or put a fan near their tank, but don't make it too windy for them as it causes them great stress.

And be aware that you must bring the temperature down slowly or they will go into shock.

browen33w

Reaction score
Yes I was using degrees Farrenheight, so it was around 35 degrees Celsius in there bags yesterday. I have brought them down to 17 degrees Celsius. Should I bring them lower? They were moving around alittle this morning and were back right side up but im worried with their small size, and with all of the stress, that they may not make it. They are aprox 5 cm long...

Joy

Reaction score
How are they doing now? I'm sure you know but you have to be careful about doing a drastic temp change rapidly b/c it will stress them out. I hope they make it!:happy:

browen33w

Reaction score
I have kept them around 16 C for the last 2 days. they are both alive, but not very active and have yet to eat anything. One has white spots on his side that i think are from the heat. I bought frozen blood worms yesterday to feed them. I'll let you know how that works out later today.

zoezakella

Reaction score
HI there, sorry to hear of your axies bad start :( If I was you I would try live food as that is more likely to encourage them to eat than frozen bloodworm :) As you are USA do you have anywhere you could buy live blackworms from?? if not some chopped earthworms/nightcrawlers, this will tempt them for sure :D good luck!

jnrosh

Reaction score
I had a very similar issues with mine as well. It took my new axies a few days before they really started eating. With the move and the temp being so hot it will take them a bit to de-stress. Just take it slow keep them cool and and try to feed them so often. I hope for the best for you and that your new little guys survive. Good Luck.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I assume you contacted the seller right away to tell them the situation. It sounds to me as if you are doing all the right things: keep them cool (not necessarily fridged) and offer food daily. I hope they do OK.

browen33w

Reaction score
An update for everyone. They are now eating! fed them earth worm clips twice this weekend, and they seem to be doing alot better. I bought them from Ward's.. took less than 24 hrs for them to get to my house but it seems that UPS loaded them in the truck the morning of the delivery and they were on the truck all day in the 95 degree temps... UPS said they didnt notice that the box said LIVE creatures.

browen33w

Reaction score
It will be 5 months tomorrow, and I wanted to give everyone an update. My little ones are now over 9 inches (about 23 cm). I wanted to thank everyone for your help in calming me down, and your advice. They both made it and are doing great. I have you all to thank.:happy:

299847_2249748358100_1079948284_2486241_1663716234_n.jpg

302440_2249740837912_1079948284_2486232_1889278423_n.jpg

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
You should have bought them from a breeder on caudata.org. Mike Shromm would have been a good choice, He packs them in styro boxes with ice packs. You really can't expect Ward's or those other biology supply stores to ship anything correctly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!