Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: New Axolotl Owner, Odd spots on my Axie's Tail ?

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new member here and would like to say hi to everyone !
I just purchase an Axolotl a week and a half ago and I notice she has spots on her tail ?
I put her in with Gourami's, 4 guppies and a betta. I now know it is not good to add any fish that can fit in there mouths, She ate 2 of my guppies and a betta. Is it okay to handle with your Axolotl ? Before she ate my betta, When I was feeding the fishs Betta was eating and i saw her comming for him and i just grabbed her tail softly so he has time to get away. By doing what i did caused the spots ? Anything on my skin would of burn her ? I always wash my hands before feeding them(not with soap). If it wasn't caused by my hands, would the fish tranfer what they carried and transfer to her ? Does anyone recongnized these odd spots ? Any suggestions that could help her ?
I attached photos and hopfully they'll show,

Thanks for your time reading ! :)

NOTE: She eats well, blood worms and meal worms. She is not a picky eater. Her gills are small, no effect of her age ect ? Sorry for the pictures not being so large.. I'm new here so i'll try my best to expand my photos !

Attachments

• IMG00049-20110616-1238.jpg
    IMG00049-20110616-1238.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG00065-20110616-1257.jpg
    IMG00065-20110616-1257.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG00066-20110616-1257 (1).jpg
    IMG00066-20110616-1257 (1).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,080
Last edited:

Alioth

Reaction score
Spots look like normal colouration to me (they have a name but someone more experienced will tell you :) ).
It's best to not mix axolotls with fish. She ate your betta but it could have been otherwise: the betta nipping at the gills of your litl lotl! So it's not only dangerous for the fish but for the axolotl as well! Guppies could be okay as feeder fish.
Since you are new I'd like to add that if you're axie is on gravel, remove it straight away and replace by sand or nothing. They can swallow gravel which can block their intestines and they can die from that...I don't say you have gravel but I just mention it to be sure :) .

And last but not least: You have a very beautiful axie there! :D Gills are a little on the small side, but they'll grow fast in good care ;) .

Zalth

Reaction score
Wait. Doesn't that little one remind you of a tiger salamander larva? Well, maybe not.

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
Thanks ! She isn't on gravel, she was in a plastic clear container and that's the carpet you assume is gravel haha. I have her tank set up with sand. All the fish in my tank feared her even the betta so no one nipped at her, I keep a close eye on them. Yeah i noticed her gills are small, I was wondering about that. The guy i purchased her from never mentioned about that to me and i assume females have them short. She is well taken care of. The guy i purchased her from told us she is 8 months old ? she is 6 inches. Is that right size for her to be at 8 months ?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you may have a tiger salamander larva . Would you be able to post some more pictures ?

What do you generally feed it ? Looking at the pictures it is looking a little on the slim side.

Alioth

Reaction score
I couldn't tell from the pictures whether it's a salamander larvae or not...I have never seen one in real life but it could be possible..
If it is, the gills will shrink instead of growing big...
Female axolotls can have big flowy gills as well :) Just a mather of water quality and time :) .

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
She is 8 months old, 6 inches long. She looks small in the pictures. I put her in a cup so you can see a better view of her spots on her tail

Alioth

Reaction score
The others think you might have a salamander larvae... That would mean it is not an axolotl. It means that after a while your little one will morph and will want to live on the land and not in water anymore. I'm not good in seeing difference between both species.
I think it would be handy if you could provide more pictures so that others can tell you what you have. If it is a salamander you will have to provide the right conditions so you don't have the risk of your little one drowning.

Where did you get her from?

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
I recently posted and I couldn't figure out to add more photos, I want to add a photo when I 1st brung my Axolotl home. In the 1st picture she was on gravel, yes i read they can swallow gravel so i changed to sand the next day. That is what she looked like and a week and a half later she gets spots on her tail ? She is 8 months old as i was told from the person i purchased her from and she is 6 inches long. She eats fine and LOVE FOOD ! Not a picky eater. I feed her a good amount of food and her tank is well taken care of. I am just paranoid of the spots on her tail !

Attachments

• Photo3347.jpg
    Photo3347.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG00066-20110616-1257 (1).jpg
    IMG00066-20110616-1257 (1).jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG00049-20110616-1238.jpg
    IMG00049-20110616-1238.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 276

Red Eft14

Reaction score
No,dont worry they are a normal pattern,some get them some dont its nothing to be scared about

MrsGimmik

Reaction score
Thanks for the comfort and peace at mind ! :)
I thought I did somthing wrong when i gently grabbed her tail for my betta ffish to get away when she was after him.
Thanks AxolotlFriend and Senad ! :D

memojo1979

Reaction score
What a lovely colour! I love the 2nd photo :D

However, you did "do something wrong" when you grabbed his / her tail - axolotls have very delicate skin + are not meant to be handled. They are also not great tank mates with other species - fish will usually either nibble the axolotls' gills or get eaten, so if your betta isn't there to be food, I'd recommend moving either the fish or the axolotl :happy:

Mandy6

Reaction score
You definetely need to remove the other fish. If your axie doesn't eat them they will nibble your axie. Plus they require different water conditions, like Bettas require warm water while axies need cold water so it's really not fair on them :(

Alioth

Reaction score
Although it's a very pretty animal, he doesn't look very axolotl to me in the first picture...
I think you need expert advice on tiger salamander / axolotl difference.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1