Double fertilization

JP100

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi
I was woundering if it is possible for a female to be fertilized by two different males at the same time? And im assuming its possible for a male to fertilize more than one female.
Just curious as my last lot of babies was a mix up as the two females and males decided they would play free willy and jump my divider and they got mixed up. I ended up having both females lay eggs but I have no idea who the father is.

I'm going to say no.
Seeing as they 'choose' which sperm packages they take, I doubt they store sperm or exhibit cryptic choice.
The only way you are going to be able to tell is by the colouration.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back