Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How much do they eat while being fridged?

Emrys

Reaction score
Hello all.

I have been fridging Beastie for a few weeks now, as it has gotten quite warm where I live and I wanted to make sure she did not overheat during the summer. At least once every other day I try to take her out, let her sit on the counter and warm up to roomish temp, then replace her water and feed her. (Her normal food is 1/2 a block of bloodworm every other day.)
However, the most recent time I brought her out for cleaning, she has not seemed interested in food. Usually she doesn't want to eat until she's completely warmed up (I know fish/reptiles will hibernate in the cold), but this time I've had her out of the fridge for a couple days and she still won't eat. She doesn't try to move either, even if poked gently. If I try to lift her out of the water she squirms like normal and swims around her tank for a few seconds afterwards, then resumes sitting still.

Should I be worried about her not eating? At what point should I consider force feeding her? Could it be that the temperature of the fridge is too low? I don't have a proper thermometer, and have had to guess what setting to leave the fridge at.

Any answers or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

memojo1979

Reaction score
I can't answer why she's feeling "off", but I do need to say that I don't think the continuous temperature fluctuations will be good for her :(
If you're warming her up every couple of days, then cooling her off again, that is a LOT of changes! I'm sure that her being a little too warm would actually be less stressful for her - I understand that you're doing it to get her to eat, but can't you try cooling her normal tank down a little, rather than keep putting her through all of the changes?

Kabernas

Reaction score
The regular temp changes definitely are not a good idea, she is probably lethargic and not eating because her metabolism is lowering. Fridging does that, I would strongly suggest decreasing the number of times you put her in and out of the fridge, or better yet get an aquarium chiller.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1