Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My babies!

yellowpebble

Reaction score
my babies are about to hatch in the next few days, they have developed gills and eyes and are wriggling inside their eggs! :D

i know i need to feed them twice a day... but how much? i will probably have 2-3 in small containers. Do i just fill the container with brine shrimp twice a day? how much brine shrimp? I know they die in fresh water and i will be doing water changes every day, but i need to avoid overfeeding for this reason.

also i didn't refrigerate my brineshrimp eggs, will they still be ok? They have not been in the sun.

also any guesses on colour? the mother is black melanoid and the father is copper... like rusty yellow with dark eyes, this is a good example:

http://www.caudata.org/photoplog/yummy-newt_salamander_photo-657.html
mine looks exactly the same.

I am confused on the genetics... is the copper an albino/leucistic gene? or is it just a light wild type? hopefully there will be a cool mix. melanoid x misc.

Last edited:

bichogrilo

Reaction score
With my eggs i sucessfully ended up feeding them microworms when they where tiny, and then when they were a bit bigger daphnia and then mosquito larvae.Good luck it is the coolest thing watching them hatch over a few days.

Loobylou

Reaction score
I fed mine around half a pipette of brine shrimp twice a day (each). If you are worried about water quality, feed them, leave them for an hour or two then do the water changes. Saying that, I never had a problem with water quality and I used to change the water twice a day before they were fed.

yellowpebble

Reaction score
wow they eat heaps! thanks

there seems to be a good mix of light and dark babies, but it is too early to tell exact colours. They look albino, not leucistic. :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1