Question: Over feeding

priesty

Reaction score
Country
England
Can you over feed axies?

I am feeding my axies earthworms and they now know to go to their feeding spot when there hungry, however they seem to spend quite alot of time there looking at me then looking up to my lid.

I feed my larger male 1 or 2 medium worm and my smaller female 2 or 3 smaller worms (sometimes more if they make me feel sorry for them!)

I feed them every day and I have read some people feed there's every other day so I'm alittle bit confused.

Axolotls are greedy little things + VERY good at scrounging ;)
For adult axies, females' stomachs should be about as wide as their heads (look from above, if you can get them to stay still + not swim up to you, LoL! Or try holding the worms in front of them, so they have to swim over to it - that should give you a good view, albeit brief!). Males should be a bit thinner. Ideally, adults usually need feeding every 2-3 days.
Not sure how wide youngsters should be, but juveniles can be fed once per day.
Babies (before they get all of their legs) should be fed twice per day.

I've seen various recommendations as to how long food should be left in with axolotls, until it should be removed, but most seem to say to feed axolotls as much as they will eat in 5-10mins.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back