Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When Will I See My New Tiger?

Devalight

Reaction score
I purchased a tiger salamander this week. I got him on Wednesday. I put him in a 20 gallon with top soil/coco fiber of about a 3 inch depth, a water dish and an overturned flower pot. There is no light on the tank, just some indirect light from the windows.

That evening on Wednesday he was exploring the cage, walking around all over the place - then he disappeared. I can only assume he burrowed, but I have no idea where. He's a little guy - only about 4 inches long, and mostly grey in color. The top is screen and latched and I can't see him able to get out.

I wonder when he will come out? I have no way of knowing if he is even still alive. I don't want to dig him up though, he is stressed out enough, no doubt.

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
He could stay burrowed-in for quite some time. Try looking for him at night. You could lift the water dish and see if he is under there - that's where I almost always find my guys. I agree, don't try to dig him out. He will at some point start poking his head out when he becomes hungry. Sounds like you have a nice and appropriate setup for him.

What will you be using as food? You might try placing a couple of crickets in the enclosure at night. If they disappear, you have a pretty good gauge that he is in there and has eaten.

Devalight

Reaction score
Thank you Jan. Its tough not seeing him at all. He's a little dull colored gray guy with very little yellow, just some faint striping on the side- sort of like someone hit him with an ugly stick LOL, but I would like to see him. I have lifted flower pot and water dish to no avail. I just got some small crickets today, which should prove irresistible, I hope.

He certainly has plenty of space and it would take some effort to find him if I had to dig around.

I also have worms that I feed to my Kweichows but they are kind of on the large side.

Devalight

Reaction score
I dug the tiger salamander up to make sure he was still alive and present. I was worried because I left the screen top partially open one night. He was easy to find, just buried under a thin layer of soil near where I had last seen him. I put some crickets in, but I don't think he has eaten any of them. I am hoping he does start to eat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1