Something eating toes! fungal? bacteria?

Pez

Reaction score
Country
United States
On my female axie I have had for a year or two, her right side of her gills have shrunk and something seems to be eating her toes down to the bone, it is not another animal in the tank because I quarantined her and it kept happening. I am not sure weather it is a fungal or bacteria, I treated her with a salt bath and fringed her. Though I am still worried, anybody have any suggestion?

I had a similar problem and it solved adding almond leaves in the tank

Okay deremo i will try that, though i am worried it maybe something else i introduced another axolotl shortly before this happened and my friend got the new ones counter part, my friends now has lesions like soars down to its bone on its leg joints but only on the right side. Also my original counterpart before the new introduction has lost all filaments on it gills but only on the right side. do you have any more suggestion on weather this is all connected
hope that made since please get back to me
Pez

Okay deremo i will try that, though i am worried it maybe something else i introduced another axolotl shortly before this happened and my friend got the new ones counter part, my friends now has lesions like soars down to its bone on its leg joints but only on the right side. Also my original counterpart before the new introduction has lost all filaments on it gills but only on the right side. do you have any more suggestion on weather this is all connected
hope that made since please get back to me
Pez

Hi Pez,

Was the new axolotl you added to the tank quarantined for at least 30 days as from the sounds of it I am think that greatly has something to do with your current axie being sick :(

If I was you I would seperate your axolotls and get the poorly one into a tub of clean dechlorinated water and fridge him. Depending on the severity of the feet I would also possibly recommend either tea baths whilst in the fridge or putting some furan 2 / maracyn into the water not sure what you can get hold of in your country.

Are you able to post a pic of the feet so we can assess best course of treatment??

Here are some links on fridging / tea baths please ask if you have any questions :happy:

Axolotl Sanctuary

Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 2 TEA BATHS 4 DOWN :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back