Could I put three axys in the tank

ChristineWgtn

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there,
Would I be pushing my luck if I had three axys in my tank? My tank is 100cm long, 35cm high and wide with only a sponge filter in it. I change twenty litres every second day. Thanks.

Are they big adults? It should be ok.
It be about 80-100 litres depending on water depth
Check the Axolotl,org site for more info

Is your tank cycling ? I was just wondering about the water changes.

I keep 2 axies in a 2.5ft bowfront that's about 95L. It is supplemented by a plant filter, so I have zero ammonia, nitrate and nitrite in the tank.

I grow Peace lilies in the trickle filter that is built into the hood. they absorb all the nasties out of the water.

Hi there,
My tank is cycled and the axys will be mature adults about 24cms long. I do twenty litres every second day as I only have a sponge filter running off a air pump.

size wise i'd say your tank is plenty big enough for 3 axies. Standard rule of thumb is 2ft minimum for 1, then 1 foot per axie above that. eg. 4 foot (120cm) = 4 axies, 3 foot (90cm) = 3 axies, which is what I have and they get along fine! :D

Hope that helped. :)

Hi there,
Thanks for your help. I recently got three axys and out of them I only wanted one but I have sort of fallen in love with one of the other two and so that is why I wanted to know if three could go in my sized tank. All three that I got have been underfed and not well looked after and so I am currently feeding them up and getting them back to good health. My big healthy female is in my large tank which I have divided and a small white female is in the other side. The other two are in separate bowls and the male white one is the one that I will rehome when he is healthy again. The yellow female is the one I am thinking of keeping. I always think it is sad when axys aren't looked after properly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back