Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Stressed?

Stez

Reaction score
I recently bought my first axie, hes quite young, and hes 2-3 inches long. today (my third day of having him) i noticed occasionally he'd walk over to the side of his tank and swim against it. now i've heard this can be a sign of stress. i think this could be because of the filter. i'm using a 27 litre tank, which the pet shop salesman told me would be fine for one axie, which i have recently learned is false, at least for bigger ones. my small one should be ok for now until i replace it when it gets bigger. the filter im using is an eheim pickup 45. in relation to the tank i think this is quite big, and at least on the top of the water its creating noticeable ripples, despite being on the lower setting. would i be better off removing it and doing daily water changes until i buy a bigger tank?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the filter is causing too much current in the water, it can indeed be stressing your axolotl.

I think you would be better off removing it and doing small water changes daily.

Kabernas

Reaction score
I've never tried this, but if you do some reading on this sight you'll read a lot about using spray bars to reduce the turbulence caused by filters. They are very inexpensive and easily made. I'm not sure, perhaps your filter is to strong for this to be effective, but I'd suggest trying it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1