My Axolotl is Twirling Around in a Salt Bath

The Banana

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So my 'lotl Sonriente has a little bit of fungus on his tail, so I went to give him a salt bath.
I've used salt baths many times before, and had the correct measurements of salt, etc.

I put him in, and straight away he started doing this -

YouTube - ‪Sonriente Twirling.mp4‬‏

Sonriente has never done anything like this before, so I'm a little worried.. but once he stopped, he didn't start again.
He is acting normal (for an axolotl that is).

So should I be worried?
Does anybody have an axolotl who has done something like this before? :confused:

Hoshi did that and started vomiting too. I'd also put all the correct measurements in and had never had a reaction like that before. I took him/her out, put in the fridge and then tried a little later on with a weaker solution of 1tsp for 1L and left my little one in for 20 mins. I got the usual reaction that way and it still worked, there were bits of fungus on the bottom after :)

it looks like he's just objecting to the salt, like "ew, salt! get it off me get it off me!" If he was acting normal afterwards, I wouldn't be too worried

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back