Question: Can I send eggs through the post?

laura103

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
My axolotl has laid eggs i've took some and someone i talk to online wants some. He has asked if i can send some eggs through the post but the only problem is i don't know how to do it. Can anyone tell me how, and if its a good idea.
Thanks
laura

Re: Can i send eggs through the post?

I put my eggs into a small sandwich bag, with a small amount of water + tied it where the water reached up to. I then put the bag into another bag + tied it. I put a bit of padding (can't remember, but might've been kitchen towel) in the bottom of a lidded tub (I actually used some Avent tubs, left over from when my daughter was a baby, as they are like a beaker, but with a screw-top lid), put the bag inside + padded around the sides. I then put more padding on the top, if there was space.
The tub then went into a postage box (I had some ideal 1s left over from previous daphnia orders) with padding all around (polystyrene chips / scrunched up newspaper)+ when the box was taped up, it was ready for posting.

Quoted from Royal Mail website -

This is about Living Creatures, in the PROHIBITED items sextion-
"Except certain insects - see restricted goods"

And this is about Living Creatures, in the RESTRICTED Goods section -
"Bees, Leeches, Pupae and Chrysalides, Caterpillars, Lugworms, Rag worms, Earthworms, Maggots, Silkworms, Fish fry and Fish eggs, Mealworms, Crickets, certain Parasites and destroyers of Noxious Pests, and some other insects sent between recognised institutions are allowed. You must use boxes that protect both the creatures and Royal Mail staff from harm. Use First Class as the minimum service and clearly label the package as "URGENT - LIVING CREATURES". Mark the sender's name and address on the outer wrapping."

So, axie eggs are okay (count them as fish eggs), but hatched axies are not. Just make sure you pack them well + label the box clearly.
I used Royal Mail's Special Delivery service, at £5.45, as it guarantees next day delivery + includes the equivalent of Recorded Delivery.#

Hope that helps :happy:

Thanks for all the help! I can get sending my eggs safely now. Thanks again! :p

do you know how to do it in australia? i tried contacting australia post but they just said i cant do it..?

DVD cases were the best by far. I put the eggs in small zip-lock bag and padded that with tissue so it didn't shake around.

I ordered some eggs online, they came through the post in a CD case. Inside the CD case was damp kitchen towel with the eggs on it. Unfortunatle not sure if it was to do with the heat while in the post but some of the axies had started to hatch and the rest were on the verge of hatching, which caught me a bit un-prepared I was hoping for at least a week until hatching had started.

I ordered some eggs online, they came through the post in a CD case. Inside the CD case was damp kitchen towel with the eggs on it. Unfortunatle not sure if it was to do with the heat while in the post but some of the axies had started to hatch and the rest were on the verge of hatching, which caught me a bit un-prepared I was hoping for at least a week until hatching had started.

They weren't wild-type and leusistic were they? I had some from a fellow forum member through the post that started hatching too.

I'm sorry if they were also from me, unfortunately that was the advice I was given for the best method of shipping.

Perhaps heat was the issue, perhaps it was the shipping medium.

Out of the 6 lots sold, 4 had no issues whatsoever, Lobby reported some had started hatching as did one other buyer.

It's worth mentioning that when I did sell these eggs, the correct date of laying was mentioned, and they were stored in good conditions up until the point of dispatch. I really had very little control over time of development.

In future I won't be using the CD case medium, I think in a sealed pill contaier n wtr or a soda bottle would be better.

Lobbylou did any of the eggs survive? I see you're selling some Wildtype babies.

I got some eggs delivered in a CD case with damp kitchen towel, wrapped in a plastic bag in a jiffy bag, but when it arrived the inner bag had burst, and the outer bag was disintigrating with the wetness, I would recommend spending a little bit more and putting a narrow tupperware tub or something a tad larger than a CD case, and marking it live creatures. I know the eggs were ok but it would make everyone concerned a little bit more relieved when everything arrives intact. It did in my case, but the post office is not the most reliable deliverer, speaking as an ex employee. Recently my friend came home to find a family photo in frame, with glass, that was too big for the letter box, shoved in by the corner, and the glass and frame was smashed. If you are going to get anything delivered, I would recommend it get it delivered to somewhere that it can be signed for immediately, and that you can receive and deal with, with a spare tupperware tub and dechlorinated water, as I did.

I'm sorry if they were also from me, unfortunately that was the advice I was given for the best method of shipping.

Perhaps heat was the issue, perhaps it was the shipping medium.

Out of the 6 lots sold, 4 had no issues whatsoever, Lobby reported some had started hatching as did one other buyer.

It's worth mentioning that when I did sell these eggs, the correct date of laying was mentioned, and they were stored in good conditions up until the point of dispatch. I really had very little control over time of development.

In future I won't be using the CD case medium, I think in a sealed pill contaier n wtr or a soda bottle would be better.

Lobbylou did any of the eggs survive? I see you're selling some Wildtype babies.

I was wondering when you would come back online....

Nearly all of the eggs that arrived here survived, the paper towel was moist enough to keep them alive in transit, even when they had hatched. It wasn't your fault that any of the eggs hatched, please don't think I was blaming you in any way!

I only lost one baby that didn't develop properly, and a couple of eggs that had started going cloudy. I ended up with 13 wildtype and 9 leucistics. I was trying to sell some, the boyfriend says we don't have space for anymore tanks :(. Mostly I've been giving them away though, to people who are really interested and that I think will do a brilliant job, I've got far too attatched to them to worry about money, I just want them to get the best homes possible.

haha, I never went anywhere, I just spend alot of time reading now rather than posting.

Glad you got loads of babies :) I openly admit the medium of posting was flawed, but by the time I'd received any critism they were all already shipped.

tbh I'd expected far more than 1 to have not survived so I'm really happy to here that. And 13 wilds and 9 luc, that's great.

Regarding the giving away, thats what I thought. I could have thrown the unpruchased eggs but gave them to you to hopefully continue the circle of life, and now you're doing that.

Would love to see a photo of the little-uns if you have time (The mrs would really love that too).

as soon as I find someone with a camera I can steal I'll post some pics. My camera is really poo and doesn't take photos very well :(

So was going to get hold of a camera today to try take some pics of the babies... Then I got distracted by my kitty who decided to have kittens all over the kitchen floor.

Still need a better camera, but you get the gist. They are small, furry and cute. And LOUD.

Edit: saving up for a new camera, but seeing as I appear to have 30 pets to provide for it's taking a while...

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 365
That's the one we're keeping! The camera didn't show the colours very well. They look grey/black and not brown at all. The one at the front is really fluffy and has silver tabby coloured legs. He kind of looks like he's wearing stripey tights.

Quick piccy for daz-

wildtypeaxies.jpg

These little guys didn't grow as quick as the others, and they're still sat at around 4.5 inches.

Need to take some of the podgey leucistics too!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back