New Axolotl Mom - Advice needed

Jennistophales

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jenn
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to this site and just wanted to inform everyone that without all of this information and help, there is no way that I could have been prepared for my two baby axies that I'm picking up tomorrow. Everything is up, running, and waiting for their arrival and I can't contain my excitement! :p

I do have two quick questions, though. 1) What is the best method of introducing my new children ( ;) ) to the tank? 2) Under what circumstances does fungus attack axolotls? I want to avoid that situation like the plague.

Thanks all for your help!

Hi, congrats on becoming an axie owner!

1) first make sure you have a tank full of dechlorinated water (you can buy water ager from pet stores) that is around 17 - 20 degrees C. (62 - 68F). Float the container you pick your axies up in in the tank water for about an hour so they can acclimatise to the new water. Then open the container and let little bits of tank water in, then release them into their new home!

If you have a filter set up you will need to do 20% water changes each day to keep toxins from the axies poop out of the water while the filter is adjusting to the tank. After a few months you will only have to do water changes every week because the filter will have grown bacteria which kill the toxins for you. This is called Cycling the tank.

Make sure they are out of bright light, have minimal water flow and are not on gravel (use sand, large pebbles or a bare bottom) and your axies will be very happy in their new home.

2) The main reason fungus grows is if the temperature is too high (they do not like the cooler temperatures axies prefer) or if there is to much waste in the tank. So keep the tank at the recommended temperature, do not overfeed and do water changes while the filter is cycling and you should not have a problem.

Fungus is more likely to occur if the axolotl sustains an injury or looses a limb (sometimes they can bite each other), but if the tank is big enough for two this will probably not happen. Fungus can be killed by putting the axolotl in the fridge or giving it baths in salt water.

Good luck!

Good advice and information Yellowpebble ;)

Fungus usually only occurs if there are large fluctuations in water temperature. Warm temps= fungus. This is usually a "ball" type fungus that forms on gill fronds or wounds. This can usually be taken off with a Q-tip (if it ever happens). And a salt bath works wonders.

Your lotls are waiting anxiously for their new mom to come pick them up. :D

Oh and if you read this before you come up tomorrow- bring a small container of some sort and I can give you some worms if you like.

Thanks for the info, its so nice to have such informed resources right on my computer.

And Grace, you have been phenomenal with everything. I appreciate your help so much. I'll bring a cooler with me when I pick them up tomorrow and some worms to get me started would be awesome. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back