Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Nip on the leg, should I fridge?

priesty

Reaction score
One of my axies has accidently taken a nip on the leg, its bleeding slighty but doesnt look to bad, is it worth putting her in the fridge or will she be ok in the main tank?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
With nips that aren't serious, it's best to just monitor and maintain. Keep it clean and well-fed and watch for signs of infection.

Fridging slows down axolotl metabolism. If there's no infection, fridging will just delay the healing process.

priesty

Reaction score
Well I left her in the main tank but her leg was looking quite red, I put my net in to try and move her around so u could get a better look but she didn't respond, her gills weren't moving either and I thought she was dead! :(

She eventually moved so I've decided to remove her and put her in my small tank, that ment I had to move my juvi so that's now in a bucket with a air stone.

Not good times :(

blackdog

Reaction score
Why is everyone so keen to chuck an axie in the fridge at the first sign of any little problem?

Remember that moving, handling, fridging etc can all be quite stressfull for axies.

I'd only fridge, handle / move or salt bath as a last resort.

A well fed, otherwise healthy axie, in a cool tank with clean water and hides has remarkable healing abilities

I've had more than an inch taken off the end of a tail (a couple of times), the most recent time about a month ago. There must have been a bite fest because i was shocked at how much had been taken off the end, it look ugly, ragged, raw and sore!

My water is clean, i have the tank chilled to 18 celc, there are lots of hides, and my guys are well fed and otherwise healthy.

So, i did this to heal the tail -

* Step 1 - Nothing.
* Step 2 - Watch the axie for signs of infection & fungus
* Step 3 - Repeat step 1 thru 3

A month later and my guy has a shiny new tail end with a nice point and everything!

I've had a bite to a leg where ther was a big flap of skin hanging off, did the same thing as above - nothing and observe.

The only other thing i have done in the case of a tail being nibbled has been to put a divider in the tank for a month or so to give it a chance to heal without being bitten again

Sometimes i think we are too keen to intefere with the natural healing process, i'd only take action if there was an obvious infection or fungus

Bren

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1