Oma Molch's adventures with the newts

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oma's visit has been a roaring success so far.

She likes the newts very much and she thinks they are beautiful. Her favorites are the fire bellies because they are so big and because of their bright bellies. She was a bit worried because at night they all sit on the root sticking out of the water right next to her bed. Molch Jr. explained that they like to haul out at night and rest at the surface esp. when it is warm (like it has been), but Oma believes it's because they like to watch when she gets into her nighty to get ready for bed :eek:, so she insisted that Molch Jr. provide them with an alternative haulout at the other side of the tank where they can look out the window instead. :rolleyes:

She was excited to see the apuanus morphs with their gills. She claims she has never actually seen a newt larva (which Molch Jr knows to be a lapse in memory but didn't say so). :D She recognizes that these are alpine newts, which she knows from her garden pond, and Molch Jr explained that they are Italians, not Teutons, with a very polite and lady-like pronounciation of "ap - u - anus". Oma is worried about the little runt morph and she asks Molch Jr about twice a day whether it has eaten another worm.:love:

She's not so sure about the marbled newts, because they are still so small and "don't much look like newts at all":eek:. Molch Jr explained that they will grow much bigger and that they live in France, but Oma says that can't be, because Oma and her BF, "who is a wine connoisseur and speaks French like the French", go to France all the time and they've never seen any marbled newts there, to which Molch Jr replied that's quite possible since marbled newts, although bona fide Frenchmen, probably don't attend too many wine tastings.:cool:

Oma took the worm farm in the fridge in full stride, only there was a raised eyebrow or two when a few of the blackworms, (who now inhabit the upper shelf because of temperature control) liberated themselves and dropped down a shelf where they were apprehended in the baby spinach leaves the next day.

All in all, Oma seems quite content with the "Blubberei" (which could be translated as the "bubbelitis", in reference to the many air bubblers bubbling away in all the tanks), as long as the newts refrain from watching her undress and she won't have to eat any blackworms with her baby spinach.

That's very funny! I keep a dish on my shelf and put the blackworm container inside it for that very reason. If I found a blackworm in my spinach I think I would throw up.

Also tell her that soon the newts will look like this. This is their sibling.

Attachments

• wormssm.JPG
    wormssm.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 178
  • 6-22 003sm.JPG
    6-22 003sm.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 166
Molch Jr explained that they will grow much bigger and that they live in France, but Oma says that can't be, because Oma and her BF, "who is a wine connoisseur and speaks French like the French", go to France all the time and they've never seen any marbled newts there

Too funny!

"who is a wine connoisseur and speaks French like the French", go to France all the time and they've never seen any marbled newts there, to which Molch Jr replied that's quite possible since marbled newts, although bona fide Frenchmen, probably don't attend too many wine tastings.

Tell Oma that French marbled newts don’t drink wine and wouldn’t be seen dead at a wine tasting. Their tipple of choice is absinthe, which they drink neat with escargots (chopped to size of course). That’s what makes them green I believe. The whole “green fairy” thing probably originated from an encounter with an inebriated marbled newt in a Parisian café.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back