I want an axie! Question.

wolfsong442

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Zephyr
Like the title says. I want an Axolotl now. I have the money to purchase one, I've just kinda been trying to wait until fall when I go back to school. I'm tired of waiting though. I would like to buy an Axie right now. My question is how easy are axies to transport? Once I get the tank all set up nice and stuff, will it hurt them to put them in something smaller to move them to school in the fall? I would have to move them anyway when school ended in the spring. So yeah. Will it hurt them?

A short time in a smaller container wont hurt them at all provided good quality water at the right temp, etc.

Just make sure you do your research on them! Most everyone here despises seeing them treated as a throw away pet.

I don't plan on treating them like a throw away pet, and I'm trying to research them. It's just difficult because there's so many different sources on axolotl care. lol

I don't plan on treating them like a throw away pet, and I'm trying to research them. It's just difficult because there's so many different sources on axolotl care. lol
Ask lots of questions, the people here are all really nice and have kept axi's before.

We're all happy to give you advice I'm sure :D

Awesome! Thank you guys!

First question. Tank size. I can't seem to find it in actual gallons anywhere, but what's the proper size aquarium in gallons for an axolotl? I have two, a 5 gallon and a 14 gallon. The 14 gallon is nice, but from what I remember it's taller than it is long and I believe axies like longer tanks better so they can crawl around on the floor? I'm not sure about the dimensions though. Would it be more helpful if I dug the 14 gallon out and measured its dimensions?

the foot print is the most important thing, how high it is doesnt matter as much.

Also, i got my axi and a month or so later i took him on a 12 hour drive from South Carolina to Ohio and he was fine just monitor water and temp

good luck!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back