How much do you worry/obsess about your newts?

Molch

Reaction score
Country
United States
How much do you obsess/worry?

just today I found one of my larva with part of its tail missing and although my rational mind told me it's probably a simple case of sibling aggression I found myself spending the next two hours reading up on bacterial infections, Molchpest and limb rot on this site and others. Then I obsessively checked all my other larvae all day long to see if any of their tails looked any smaller or if, in fact, they had all dropped dead from newt plague while I was at lunch.

Then I had some wine and decided:
I bloomin' worry too much.
I need to chill and let the newts do their thing and trust in my newt keeping abilities. No more obsessive checking and worrying about every bent toe or nicked dorsal fin.

How about you? Do you worry and obsess? Or are you past that stage in your newt keeping career?

Last edited:
I do fret about my various beasties/ humans. If something out of the ordinary is spotted then I like to be prepared. :D

I worry. i worry like the world is going to end that im going to mess up and kill my little axi... and when i buy him something new i obsess i stare at the tank for ever....

I LOVE MY AXI TO DEATH!!!!!!

I used to worry a lot more. In fact i used to panic if a newt skipped a meal or seemed even slightly stressed. That has changed a lot, specially since i have my H.dunni, because you wouldn´t believe the things they do to each other. Not a single one of them has kept an intact tail since i got them, and the more extreme injuries were quite gory. But then you see that the little buggers get on with their lives as if nothing had happened and a few weeks later there´s no sign of the wound and you think...that´s just amazing...If someone bit half my leg off i think it would be a big deal, but for these guys a semi amputated tail that looks like a car crash is NOTHING.
It does happen every now and then, though, that i seem to focus on a particular species and my naturally paranoid mind starts to imagine all kinds of problems with them, but generally speaking i´ve learned to control myself and behave like a sane person.

I think this hobby may be a little bit like parenthood. You start out panicking about every single detail and fictional problem and end up leaving them to their own fate in a semi-feral state.

I think this hobby may be a little bit like parenthood. You start out panicking about every single detail and fictional problem and end up leaving them to their own fate in a semi-feral state.

I read this to Oma Molch and she nodded her head so much one of her little plastic hair curlers fell off. :wacko:

I used to care when I had 2, 3.. 5 caudates... When I had 300 at same time believe me I didnt care for them in same way. Offcourse now and then I would shoot some attention to this or that other specie. But no. Nowadays even having a little number of them 5-20 i don't care the way I did when i was a fresh started :) Back in 2007 my year of entrance in the hobby.:happy:

I went on vacation a little while back, and it was the first time my tiger had been alone. The whole time I was going 'is he okay?!?!?!' ;__;

Then I got home, and I swear he was looking at me all WHERE DID YOU GO! I NEEDED TO WATCH TV!! >O

But it was cool after crickets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back