Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Holy ****, I think I have a baby?!?!

Thelmab9

Reaction score
mornington peninsula, victoria, australia
So, I have had Yolanda for about 4 months and Sanchez for about 3 months. The last 3 weeks have been a bit crazy along with me being sick and so the tank wasn't in it's usual "clean" condition. I noticed a fluffy brownish type stuff around one of the plants and figured it was some kind of waste and vacuumed it out when I finally cleaned the tank on Monday... However... Tonight while feeding my supposed female axolotls I noticed what I first thought was a bit of plant floating, then realized it was actually swimming!! It is greenish and I guess a little transparent, it is vaguely axolotl shape with a clear head and tail and inside the tail end is darkish. It's less than 1cm long. I don't know what this could be? Sea monkey? It's too small to even get a photo and I can't see any more in there. I'll keep trying for a photo but it is very small. Does anyone know what the strange creature is?

yellowpebble

Reaction score
I really hope that isn't a baby axolotl, because that would mean you neglected your tank for 3 weeks or more! It could be a baby, if the tank was dirty grime could have gotten stuck to the jelly. Take the mystery thing out, put it in a separate container and start feeding it brine shrimp. And try to upload a photo!

good luck

Thelmab9

Reaction score
Yes, shamefully, the tank wasn't quite neglected and didn't look dirty other than the furry stuff round the plant but, honestly it wasn't how it usually is. Btw it's clean now! I have removed it from the tank (in a tea strainer! It would have got list in my net) and put it in tank water in a small container I usually soak the earth worms in. I don't have any brine shrimp I will get some but should I give it some chopped up blood worm? It doesn't even look big enough to eat anything! It's literally about 1cm or less long I'm surprised I even noticed it!

MereB

Reaction score
If it is a baby axie then it will need live moving food or it simply will not eat.
Very small Daphnia or Baby brine shrimp are your best options and are usually fairly easy to buy/hatch/breed.
Axie babies are usually only 1cm long when they hatch.
I've attached a few pics of just hatched axies and one that was just about to hatch, hopefully it might help you ID you mystery critter.

Mere.

Attachments

• DSCF8078.jpg
    DSCF8078.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF8081.jpg
    DSCF8081.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF8089.jpg
    DSCF8089.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 140

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't necessarily mean you've neglected the tank. It just means you missed an egg and the larva was able to elude your siphon!

Thelmab9

Reaction score
Oh thanks for the photos, mine doesn't look like that! (phew!) they are awully cute though!
This is now a huge mystery to me! The odd "creature" appears to have 6 "legs"(?) which are very fine, like hairs and at the end of the tail it splits in 3! It has definate whitish eyes. I must try to get a photo it's just hard to focus my phone camera and my husband has taken my camera away with him. It's sort of insect-like

JP100

Reaction score
Oh thanks for the photos, mine doesn't look like that! (phew!) they are awully cute though!
This is now a huge mystery to me! The odd "creature" appears to have 6 "legs"(?) which are very fine, like hairs and at the end of the tail it splits in 3! It has definate whitish eyes. I must try to get a photo it's just hard to focus my phone camera and my husband has taken my camera away with him. It's sort of insect-like

Sounds like a small damsel fly nymph or a type of bug larvae like caddis fly perhaps.
damsel fly nymphs have six legs a long abdomen and the tail splits in three. But they are usually a bit bigger.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If it's missing, it either morphed out (and then you'd have a damselfly hanging around), or your axolotls ate it. Unexpected supplemental nutrition!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1