Larva ID

JessKB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jess
Hi everyone, I've found a larva in a small basically fishless pond near my home. It took me a few trips out there, but I finally found this little guy. I've had it for about two weeks now, and he's been happily munching down blackworms. There is a population of Ambystoma Laterale surrounding the pond, so I assume that's what it is. It also looks a lot like pictures I've found. I just want to make sure.

I included a picture of the site where I found the larvae. It's a large pond/swamp/forest area surrounded by apartment complexes and industrial buildings. There are fish in there, but they're just schools of tiny tiny minnows, I haven't seen any larger fish.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 102_3275.jpg
    102_3275.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 229
  • 102_3277.jpg
    102_3277.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 102_3279.jpg
    102_3279.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 241
  • swamp.jpeg
    swamp.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 203
  • trash.jpeg
    trash.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 210
Definitely an Ambystomatid. Given the local fauna, I would expect it's laterale. It's definitely not texanum or opacum.

Thanks Kasie, that's what I figured too. How big do these usually get before they morph, and at what time in the wild do they tend to emerge from the water?

Laterale are probably between 2 and 3 inches, total length. If you keep them cool and well fed, they morph out bigger. I don't think I've ever heard of laterale overwintering as larvae (as tigrinum sometimes do), but it wouldn't shock me.

In the wild, they start to emerge when the ponds start to dry. This could be as early as July or as late as September. But all will emerge from a given pond at the same time. I think one of the biggest triggers is dissolved oxygen: as a pond becomes warmer and shallower, the dissolved oxygen drops, triggering metamorphosis.

Thanks Kasie. I'll keep him cool and well fed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back