1st Case Of Fungus - What Salt To Use?

memojo1979

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Mojo
Okay, I've woken up today, to find an axie with fungus (my 1st ever case, but at least I now know what it actually looks like - unmistakeable really!)
I tried all of the axies on some new pellets, which looked like they were being well received, by my friend's axies decided they like the shrimp pellets, but didn't like the
earthworm pellets, so I woke up to a very messy tank yesterday + I'm guessing that's why - because the water quality was messed up.
I have got this salt Aquarium Aids Accessories - Aquarium Aids Accessories - Aquatic - Supa Aquatic Supplies Ltd (3rd item down the page) left over from when my daughter had goldfish that refused to stay alive + I ended up trying anything + everything for them.
The box says it's suitable for freshwater aquariums (hatching brine shrimp eggs, sterilizing, water conditioning + treatment of fungus), but since it's meant for fish, I just wanted to check before using it for an axie.

("Treatment Of Fungus - To combat fungus + other dieases, use a dilution of 1 teaspoonful of salt to 2l of water + increase to 2 teaspoonfuls per 5l on the 2nd day. Change the solution daily, keeping a careful check on water temperatures to avoid fluctuations"
Obviously, I'd be using the information from the salt bath tutorial here though, not the ratios stated on the box!)

It seems like an appropriate salt. The most important thing is to not use table salt, as it is often iodized.

Definately not a table salt :happy:
TY Kaysie.
Now, I don't have any room in my fridge, but our supposed heatwave this weekend is in fact the opposite (I've had to turn my central heating on!), so I'm debating leave the little guy on my back doorstep :D
The only problem I can see are cats, but I'm thinking if I put the axie in a tub, then put the tub in a plastic fish tank, it should be okay. But, then what do I cover it with, to shade from the light?... I wonder if there's room in my little shed... Ah! I have a cat box / pet carrier - the fish tank can go inside that! LoL!
Might be awkward keeping all water the same temperature then though (if I left a tub of water outside, either my dog, a local cat or the birds would drink out of it. Plus, I get LOADS of litter blowing through my garden :mad:)
The fungus isn't too bad at all (at the moment!) but I'd obviously rather catch it now, than have it increase :(

Definately not a table salt :happy:
TY Kaysie.
Now, I don't have any room in my fridge, but our supposed heatwave this weekend is in fact the opposite (I've had to turn my central heating on!), so I'm debating leave the little guy on my back doorstep :D
The only problem I can see are cats, but I'm thinking if I put the axie in a tub, then put the tub in a plastic fish tank, it should be okay. But, then what do I cover it with, to shade from the light?... I wonder if there's room in my little shed... Ah! I have a cat box / pet carrier - the fish tank can go inside that! LoL!
Might be awkward keeping all water the same temperature then though (if I left a tub of water outside, either my dog, a local cat or the birds would drink out of it. Plus, I get LOADS of litter blowing through my garden :mad:)
The fungus isn't too bad at all (at the moment!) but I'd obviously rather catch it now, than have it increase :(

My husband has just come up with the cool idea of using a water butt only 14 pounds from Wilkos, with a tap at the bottom, it is slim line and holds 100 litres which is perfect for several water changes. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back