Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie need help...

alexcllui

Reaction score
Hi,

i'm new in this hobby and now looking for some information before i start to keep this lovely species...

I'm thinking to buy 1-2 salamander in the future for my Paludarium tank setup...
60x30x30cm or 60x35x40cm with 50:50 up and down with land and water setup...

May I know which type of the salamander are the easier to keep and it can't grow big?
At the moment i only heard Pachytriton labiatus and Ambystoma Maculatum (Spotted Salamander with black body and yellow spot) got sell here...

thinking to keep it with Vampire crab (Geosesarma sp) on the land and the salamander in the water...

which type of filtration to use?
thinking to use -
- an ugf attach to an eheim canister filter
- only canister filter
- Exo Terra Repti-Clear 350 Complete Internal Filter

thanks

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Jan already explained to you in your other thread that you should not keep a mixed-species tank. Neither species you've mentioned will do well in a 50/50 setup: P. labius is fully aquatic (and rather large), while A. maculatum is fully terrestrial and can drown if given a large body of water outside of breeding season. Vampire crabs are also primarily terrestrial.

P. labius will likely kill every other inhabitant in the tank, including other P. labius. A. maculatum is quite shy and will hide a vast majority of the time.

The best way to get a tank set up is to decide which species you'd like to keep, and then design the tank around its requirements, rather than the other way around.

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Could be, but not necessarily. Oriental fire belly newt doesn´t specify one single species. The same label is applied to several, from up to 4 different genera.
Without knowing which species, exactly, you are referring to by oriental fire belly, it´s not possible to tell.
The most common candidate for that label is Hypselotriton orientalis, which is absolutely not suitable to be mixed with P.labiatus.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1