Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Wit's end!!!

ZoeT94

Reaction score
Pinky won't eat, she won't eat worms. She won't eat mussel. And I don't know what else to do!
The last time she ate was on the 21st June. And that was only one small mussel.
Podge is eating fine, he is eating worms every day or so.
I can't put her in the fridge, mum won't let me. Plus there's no room.

any help appreciated..

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
How big is she? 4 days isn't terribly long for an axolotl to go without food.

ZoeT94

Reaction score
about 16cm, roughly.

And I have noticed her behaviour changing. She seems to remain near the plants all the time. I moved the plants, and she then moved to where they were. She also does not seem to be as active, preferring to remain near the plants, sometimes resting on them near the surface of the water.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
To me, it sounds like your little girl (or boy) is growing up.

Adult axolotls will eat a lot less, and be a lot less active, than juveniles.

ZoeT94

Reaction score
Okay. So I'll just let her be. But is her change in behaviour normal?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes. Adult axolotls that are too active are a sign of stress.

Do you test your water parameters? How warm do you keep your tank?

scooty16

Reaction score
Sounds exactly what my axolotl did! I did a water change as my parameters where a bit on the shakey side, jazzed up his tank and left him be for a couple of days.

Now he can't enough of worms and has gone back to his socialable self! Try not to panic, as Kaysie said, 4 days isn't really long! If there isn't any signs of fungus, or general ill health, I'd try not to worry too much. But I know how you feel! I was so worried about my little guy, but now his right as rain again :happy:

ZoeT94

Reaction score
Just checked, all water parameters are fine and dandy.
temperature is 23 degrees Celsius.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
23 is a really high temperature for an Axolotl to be kept in, and can cause serious help problems or even death. 18-19 is about the upper limit of what an Axolotl can be kept in. Do you have any methods to reduce the temperature?

scooty16

Reaction score
Eric is right, that is pretty high. You might find if you cool your axie down it may return back to it's old self. I usually freeze water in bottles and stand them up in my tank. I also use a fan to cool my tank down. It's just a normal fan but I put it on top of a box so it blows over the water :p

I also put treated water ice cubes in a food bag, tie a knot in the top, and peg them to the side of my tank just so the float nicely on top of the water. This means if the bag happens to split it won't harm your axie, and it cools the tank down at a steady rate :happy: Oh also the pegs are all plastic, so no harm of metal!

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
You could do with trying to get the tank cooler, especially as we are going to get such high temperatures tomorrow.
Would you be able to blow a fan over the water surface? Try to keep the room as cool as possible by not opening windows or curtains until maybe night time, don't put on any tank lights. Generally see if you can eliminate any heat sources.

ZoeT94

Reaction score
okay. I put fans on and opened the windows.

thanks people

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1