Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

DIY Over-the-Tank filter adaption! Easy and cheap

totallyrad

Reaction score
Greetings!

My name's Roy, I'm from Jacksonville Florida. I'm pretty new to axolotls and hope to have many to come. My budget was pretty lame so I had to put all this together with craigslist and a few rocks and fake plants from pet smart. (I would have shopped from a locally owned store but pet smart's the only thing close to me.)

The trouble I was having with this filter (Aqua-tech 5-15gal.) is that it was stirring up too much water for my little axolotl, Dagger. He's almost 3 inches so he was struggling something fierce to swim with the filter on. I adapted the filter and I'm pleased with the result so far.

-I took a piece of 3/4 inch vinyl tubing (from Ace hardware $2) and simply slipped one end onto the filter intake pipe and the other end I attached the small plastic gaurd over the tubing. I did this so my tank wouldn't have so much water and also so it's pulling water from the bottom of the tank thus better circulation. Right? haha.

-I then took a (new) bath scrunchie and slipped the loop onto the filter inside and that slows the water down and make's it flow more gently.

So far it's working well, but I'd like to see how long this lasts. I will end up rigging something with better quality but this works for now. Hope this helps someone else who only has an over-the-tank filter and have the funds to get a better filter right away.

Attachments

• daggertank2.jpg
    daggertank2.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 336
  • daggertank3.jpg
    daggertank3.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 359
  • daggertank4.jpg
    daggertank4.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 646

ZoeT94

Reaction score
it looks funny! lol.

Good problem solving though! I currently have an internal filter with a nodule which directs the output away from the rest of the tank, upwards. seems to work!

totallyrad

Reaction score
hahaha it does look a bit funny I agree :p
but it seems to work okay. It's been a little over a week now and still working well.
I think this should be more of a temporary rig not a permanent solution.

once I can afford a better filter I will get one haha. definitely an internal filter

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1