Tank readings - info for sitter

decambla

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Sorry, I know this is probably been asked about before but I dont have time to search. Im going away for 3 weeks and my sister and brother in law are house sitting. Im concerned about leaving Jones but dont have a choice. Im trying to give them as much info as possible about his care.

In particular about the tank readings. So what are the perfect tank readings?
I know ph should be between 7.4-7.6
but what about GH, KH, NO2, NO3, Ammonia?

Ive written down all his feeding requirements, tank temperatures, water changes.

Is there anything else I should mention to them? Im so nervous about leaving him

I've never asked tank-sitters to measure tank readings. You can avoid making them do this by following these steps:

• Do some extra-large water changes before you leave
  • Tell them to feed an amount that is smaller than usual, to reduce the chance of leftovers
  • If leftovers are still a possibility, have them well trained for removing uneaten food
If you do those things, there is virtually no chance that the tank readings will go wrong. Temperature is really the only thing they should be keeping tabs on. The danger in giving the sitter "optimal" tank readings is that they might do the wrong thing to try to "fix" it if the readings drift off a bit. This could be more hazardous than what they are trying to correct.

Be sure to leave all instructions in writing.

Regarding tank readings, don't get hung up on perfect pH. Anything from 6.0 - 8.0 is OK. The reason for testing pH is more as a way to see if the tank chemistry is changing over time. The same is true for GH and KH, there is no magic optimum. Other tests should be:
ammonia = 0
nitrite = 0
nitrate = <50 ppm

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunantly my tank/filter is still cycling so water changes and readings have to be done. I'm trying to leave as much info as possible to make it easier for her. If I could takehim with me i would but it's just not an option

I see - yes, they will need to measure ammonia at least. My 3 bullet-point suggestions are still relevant, however. Good luck with your trip!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back