Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Gold spotted black axie with lump..

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
At my local pet store there is this GORGEOUS axie that I've resisted buying many a time.. It is black with GOLD spots.. like ACTUAL gold... it's like the funkiest axie i've ever seen!

Anyway I've resisted coz he has a small lump on its side under his skin.. :( It's the size of a small piece of gravel (though they are not housed on any substrate at the store) and is just under his skin.. My question is what is wrong with the little guy, and If I get him, is it easily curable?

It's just that I've never seen one like him and he is SOOO cool!

The lump looks a lot like this one (under its back leg) http://www.caudata.org/forum/attach...-help/10899d1277484095-lump-newt-dsc03558.jpg

Mandy6

Reaction score
ooh that sounds so awesome.

Anyway, little bumps are normal on axies, just like people get little bumps. Unless the lump gets bigger or changes in any way you don't need to worry about them

I'd love for you to get him, I'd love to see him xD

scooty16

Reaction score
I think you should totally get him! He sounds amazing and Im jealous already! :p

memojo1979

Reaction score
Having said that, my Canaq is a very dark wild type (black on top, with a grey belly which goes up her sides too) + she has quite a few iridiophores which are golden in the right light. Haven't got any photos showing them well yet though.

MereB

Reaction score
Definately an axie?
In Australia YES it is definitely an axie. Everything else is illegal to import and own let alone sell in a petshop.

Lumps seem to be a bit of both. If it doesn't change it's fine but if it's changing it can spell disaster :( unfortunately it would be a wait and see what it does kind of thing. I'd buy him, lump or not. Such a unique sounding axie would definitely be welcome in my collection even if it was potentially only for a very short time.

mewsie

Reaction score
He sounds gorgeous.

My axies have the odd weird bit here and there - can be a result of healing slightly weirdly. I vote with Mere - get him, love him, give him a wicked awesome tank, and hopefully it's just one of his special little quirks.

pookiewn

Reaction score
Wow! I'm suprised that you resisted at all, it sounds amazing. Yes please, go get it please, we would like some pictures please! :lol:

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
The small lump is on his/her side. I've been monitoring it a few weeks and it hasn't changed yet. I could call him/her lumpy.. :)

Anyway I'm going back to the pet store on thursday for an epic sale (thinking about upgrading to a 4x1.5 tank yay), and if him/her is still there... I am so getting her/him! :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :) I hope my other axies will grow to like him with time so he can have the run around of the whole tank without dividers! :D Should be fine though, it only took a few days for them to love my newest addition a few weeks ago. :D

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
The small lump is on his/her side. I've been monitoring it a few weeks and it hasn't changed yet. I could call him/her lumpy.. :)

Anyway I'm going back to the pet store on thursday for an epic sale (thinking about upgrading to a 4x1.5 tank yay), and if him/her is still there... I am so getting her/him! :D

Thanks for the kind words everyone! :) I hope my other axies will grow to like him with time so he can have the run around of the whole tank without dividers! :D Should be fine though, it only took a few days for them to love my newest addition a few weeks ago. :D
Buy him/her... and send them to me... sound good yes? lol I wish

So jealous of your for getting that amazing sounding axi

Right now I'm considering getting a really black on so I can have yin and yang

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
So... I've convinced my housemate to get lumpy instead of me. He's getting his first axie set up this thurs (gonna give him some of my epic cycled water) and then Lumpy can begin his spoilt life (if he's still there lol)..

I would get him.. but I've been heart set on a golden albino for soooo long.. and I can always steal lumpy off him later anyway LOLs...

On that note, I'm getting a new 4x1.5ft set up that I calculated to be 65gallons. Does this mean Coz of the standard 10gallons per axie rule that I can have 6 axies in there? Coz there's also a 1ft per axie rule which = 4 axies.. or should I go in the midddle of them both and say 5 axies???? :S

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
So... I've convinced my housemate to get lumpy instead of me. He's getting his first axie set up this thurs (gonna give him some of my epic cycled water) and then Lumpy can begin his spoilt life (if he's still there lol)..

I would get him.. but I've been heart set on a golden albino for soooo long.. and I can always steal lumpy off him later anyway LOLs...

On that note, I'm getting a new 4x1.5ft set up that I calculated to be 65gallons. Does this mean Coz of the standard 10gallons per axie rule that I can have 6 axies in there? Coz there's also a 1ft per axie rule which = 4 axies.. or should I go in the midddle of them both and say 5 axies???? :S
I'd go with 4...

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
So I was back at the pet store today for the epic sale.. where I got my canister filter yay.. Anyways I saw little lumpy and he wasn't quite as gold as I remembered him to be :( I think my mind made him more exciting than he was.. :( He's still a gorgeous little axie but not enough to invoke any impulse buys.. Guess he'll just have to spark someone else's interest..

Oh and I have a pic if anyone is still interested. Will post if requested. :)

MereB

Reaction score
Do you even need to ask Of course we want to see it.... no scratch that we NEED to see it :p
I'm always interesting in Pics of pretty axies :D whether they are super special looking or not.

Please post it. :hat:

oh and WOO HOO for a new canister filter :happy:
I'll have to buy one of those in the next few weeks. One of mine has finally, after 7 years, sprung a leak that I don't seem to be able to locate to fix :mad: but such is life :rolleyes:

Mere.

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
'Lumpy'

Poor little things keep getting nipped in the tail. Tank is prob 45cm long and none of the 4 in there are fully grown.. they must just not like each other.. :(

Attachments

• IMAG0825.jpg
    IMAG0825.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 586
  • IMAG0826.jpg
    IMAG0826.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 784

MereB

Reaction score
ooooh he is quite pretty isn't he :happy: Got a beautiful pattern!
It could be worse ;) At least they aren't on gravel and they do all seem to have their limbs and gills in tack which for a pet store is a minor miracle in itself.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1