Sexually mature

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone

I just noticed the tips of a few of my axi's front toes have gone black (she's an albino)... I've read this can mean she is now sexually mature. Pretty sure that she's definitely a she now.

Is this assumption correct. I believe her to be around 10-12 months old...

My male leucistic just got his black toes.. so cute! Yes I have heard the same thing. Dark toes (or light in melanoids) = sexually mature. Though they say you should wait ideally a bit longer to make sure she has finished growing and has all her strength before breeding.

Interesting fact: My wild type female Lottie got her black toes soon after I brought home 'Red' my leucistic-male.. I thought this meant she liked him.. then a week or so later.. her black toes dissapeared! i didn't know that could even happen till it did! I thought that must mean she changed her mind and doesn't like him anymore lol... :p

Great! Oh I'm not up for breeding just yet... maybe next year. I'm off on exchange for 6 months and there is no way mum will care for 2 axi's plus possible babies

So next year I'll find her a male friend and then we'll see what happens

Hahaha thats kind of weird... wonder why?

Exchange woo where to? You'll have to tell us all about the local axies there! :)

Yeah Lottie is a funny one. I have a theory. She always wants to be my favorite and figures if she doesn't have babies.. I can't get any axies cuter than she is! :p lol

To America... upstate New York to be exact. I'll definitely check out the local axi's :D

Hehehe cheeky girl... but that is adorable at the same time

To America... upstate New York to be exact. I'll definitely check out the local axi's :D

Hehehe cheeky girl... but that is adorable at the same time

Hey, I live in Rochester NY. I've never come across an Axolotl in any pet stores I've been in, but hopefully you'll have better luck :happy:.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back