Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Saw in-store axies for the 1st time ever today

memojo1979

Reaction score
Been to a local fish / reptile shop today, to get some frozen mice for my corn snakes + guess what I saw?! 3 little "CB11" axies! 2 leucies + 1 wild type. Wild was just under £20, leucies were just over £20 each.
BUT, I couldn't read the thermometer they had in the tank (shop was fairly warm though), the only place they had to shelter was under the filter which was positioned halfway up the side of the tank + they were on gravel!
Didn't notice the water flow, but they all looked healthy + happy enough... for the moment :(
I spoke to a member of staff there, saying that they need places to hide + shouldn't be kept on gravel + all he said was that they were the responsibility of the reptile staff, so I'm going to see if I can find an email address for them. If not, I shall be researching for a snail mail address.
The more voices, the better, so if anyone local wants to add their voice to the "give them some hidey holes + remove that gravel" plea, message me + I'll let you know where. Alternatively, if anyone else wants to email (on the pretence that they have been seen while visiting Stoke), I can let you know if I find an email address for them ;)

Morrison

Reaction score
So sad that they only care about the money instead of how the animals are doing. I've seen horrible axies in pet stores as well. Last week I saw an extremely skinny one with fungus covering all the feet and ofcourse... gravel in the tank. Like always...
And if you say how they can make it better they suddenly become annoyed like "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!"

Loobylou

Reaction score
If you find an email addy for them, post it up here! I'm sure lots of people will mail them (me included). I can pretend I've been to Stoke!

memojo1979

Reaction score
So sad that they only care about the money instead of how the animals are doing. I've seen horrible axies in pet stores as well. Last week I saw an extremely skinny one with fungus covering all the feet and ofcourse... gravel in the tank. Like always...
And if you say how they can make it better they suddenly become annoyed like "MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!"

I think it was more like he didn't want to be responsible for changing anything that the reptile people had set up, as he figures they know more than him. He seemed more scared to touch than annoyed. Unfortunately, there weren't any of the reptile staff there at the time.
All gorgeous little things though + not swollen or anything yet, so hopefully there will be time. Just realised, I can probably phone them too :D

Raziela

Reaction score
This is the main reason I generally refuse to go into Glovers, they don't listen, they're rude, arrogant and think they know it all.

Gonna have to find my *** kicking boots and go in for round 2 of what I started when they gave me some really bad advice concerning axolotls before christmas.

I'll let you know how soon it is into the conversation that I end up barred from the premises :D

memojo1979

Reaction score
Ha! I wasn't naming them, but since they now have been... ;)
Here's a link to a page from their website. It has address + phone number on it. I tried to send them an email twice, but both times have just got an error page (think that might be my computer's fault though, as I usually get a similar message if I try to send a message using the web sites page - I have to find the email address + send my messages from hotmail instead)

http://www.gloversaquatics.co.uk/help/contactus.cfm

Last edited:

Raziela

Reaction score
I'm more thinking along the lines of my New Rocks. They are evil boots that mean business. ^^

Now to find them in the mass of shoes/boots that is my bedroom floor ^^

Raziela

Reaction score
FFS. Posted in a group on facebook about these axies being potentially mistreated, got kicked from the group coz they're all up Glovers *** and can't take it when someone dares say they may have something wrong.

Also, they are denying that I went in today which is even more funny.

I think a call to the RSPCA may be in order.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1