Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The Importance Of Quarantine...

memojo1979

Reaction score
I WAS going to ask how long people quarantine new plants for, but I now have something else to say. I bought some live plants for the 1st time today - was told by the fish / reptile shop that they were the only 1s they had that will do well in under 20C, with sheltered natural light only.
I ended up with 10 tall plants + managed to find quaranteed homes fore 8 of them. The last 2 I put into my cherry shrimp tanks (1 in each of the 2 tanks) - BAD MOVE!!!! I had figured that I don't mind cnails e.t.c. in with the cherry shrimp.
I went to feed my corn snakes upstairs, then when I can back downstairs only 30mins later, all the shrimp form my already quaranteed, breeding colony were lying on their sides - I've only gone + wiped out the whole lot! There were 63 of them at last count :(
I removed the plant + I changed 80% of the water, but it hasn't helped - they're gone..

So, does anyone know of any plants that are toxic for cherry shrimp???

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
WOW that sucks! Cherry shrimp are expensive too.. at least down here they are.. Hope you recover well. Sorry I can't help with the toxic plants thing. :)

blackdog

Reaction score
Wow.

As hardy as cherry shrimp are supposed to be, when they crash, they crash fast, and it probably was the plants.

I've had cherry shrimp crashes before, and in the end narrowed it down to the fish food!!!! It contain trace elements of a copper compound, and copper of course is very toxic to cherries.

I would just about bet that your plants had been treat for snails at some stage by the aqaurium. my understanding is that a lot of snail & pest killer compounds are made with copper as a main ingredient.

Considering my cherries were dying from miniscule traces of copper in fish food (Wardleys FYI), it seems reasonable to assume that left over traces of snail poison on plants could easily knock over your shrimp.

To solve this problem, i used Seachem Curpisorb in mesh bags placed into the filters of my tanks (both avail on Flea bay) I put it in both the cherry tank and the axie tank, because even though copper is not as toxic to the axies as it is to the cherry shrimp, i still have cherrie in there from time to time.

Bren

memojo1979

Reaction score
The plants were rinsed before adding them to the tanks + strangely, the little itty-bitty snails that have been in the 1st cherry tank for a few months are fine, but I figured it must've been some sort of chemical, rather than the actual plant (especially since it was so quick!).
Having left the tank overnight, I could only see maybe a maximum of 5 dead shrimp this morning. Maybe another 5 are still struggling to move + falling over a fair bit. Most of the others that I have seen (maybe 10 altogether) have very arched backs, but at least they're up + about + NOT dead! But, the 2 obviously pregnant shrimp seem fine now :D
The cherry tanks only have sponge filters, so can't add anything into the filter itself, but I shall have a read about Seachem Curpisorb, thank you Dog.

And yeah Aimzs, I got a bargain with the 1st batch of shrimp (50 for £40 inc. P+P, I think it was), then managed to get the 2nd colony @ 40 for £30 inc. P+P I think - just to mix up the genetic stock a bit. The 2nd colony is still in quarantene (I cannot remember how to spell that today! :eek:), but they seemed fine.
I have seen cherry shrimp sell in the UK for 75p-£1.50 each, but only on the internet, as I haven't seen any in aquatic shops yet.

On a plus point, the plants do look wonderfully healthy + lush ;)

blackdog

Reaction score
Re rinsing, i'm sure you did. But remember, the teeny tiny amount of copper sulphate in a pinch of fish flakes every 2-3 days was causing my cherries to die - not all at once, but 6-10 at a time the day after feeding.

I'm still predicting copper from a treatment the plants have had. It takes a hell of a lot more copper to kill snails than it does shrimp. It is possible there was enough traces of copper to kill the shrimp, but not enough to effect your existing snails.

The Curpisorb just needs to have the water running through it, so if you can put it in a mesh bag and position it somewhere you can get the water flowing over the bag it should work.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1