Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Randomly noticing cute things

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
I was just looking at my axi (as we all do) and I noticed than when there is light behind her you can see through the skin on her toes and see the little bones and joints in them... its amazingly adorable.

I figure this is only possible because she's an albino... but its almost like looking at a color x-ray.

Anyways thats my rant... now all albino owners will be checking if they can see it on their axi too ;)

memojo1979

Reaction score
My wildtype's can be seen at the light fingertips. I only know this though, as she's either growing an extra toe (on TOP of her foot), without any injury occuring 1st, or she's sliced a VERY toe-looking piece off the top of her foot somehow (it's been there a while, but has gown), so I've been scrutinsing her whenever she's in a co-operative mood ;)

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Oooh I'll have to look closer at my girl in the future... she also has a large darker patch on her side (kinda looks like a bruise) which has always been there. I'm slightly confused about it as she is an albino... maybe its one of her internal organs.

@Mojo... thats kinda weird. My girl as a gimpy leg which has never quite grown back and one side of her gills are shorter and fatter than the other.

laalflaach

Reaction score
I kinda like the way I can see bloodworm being eaten inside the babies heads. You can see how they suck worms in and out and squish them all about, then swallow. Amazing!!

ashmac5

Reaction score
My biggest axie has had a favourite leaf since it arrived in the tank, its a thin long leaf and lately I noticed it doesn't hold the axie up anymore! I don't think he/she is ready to give up yet though as they cling on, roll under, scrabble back on, cling on some more, the leaf eventually touches the floor almost and off slides the axie, think I'm gna need to buy a stronger plant......:p

munchbunch

Reaction score
Aww these are so cute! I was just watching my axie swimming up the side of the tank chasing his reflection and he snapped at it! I think he might be hungry enough to eat himself.. time to get the bloodworms!

ashmac5

Reaction score
I'm so pleased to read that someone else's axie chases their reflection!!! Mine does it and it is hilarious! Chases him/herself around lol

I was cleaning out the tank today and moving things about to get all the dirt, one was in the plantpot and just sat in it, head hanging out as I moved it around, they are both getting an obsession with my hands too, they like to nuzzle my fingers and try to get ontop of my hands when I'm cleaning the tank.....weird! :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1