Small red lump on babys

robbrown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey i just noticed today on one of the more see through babys that there is a red/pinkish lump or dot on the left hand side of the body just behind the gills, is this something to worry about???

bit worried because i dont think they have been eating properly.

Thanks

Because they are see-through it is probably an organ maybe the heart or liver.
What are you feeding them?
Any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:happy:

This link Axolotls - Biology shows the positioning of axolotl internal organs. As Sam says, baby axollotls are indeed fairly see-through / transparent), especially the paler colours (though the wild types are usually surprisingly light to begin with too)
It's a common question, as it's quite shocking to see ;) + the most common organs to be noticed are either the heart (sounds like that's what you're seeing) or the stomach - especially when it's full of yummy food.

If it doesn't seem to fit with what's shown in the diagram from the link above or our descriptions, then a photo would help the people here put your mind at rest :happy:

hmm it must be the heart then i looked under the tub and noticed that they all have it so either they are full or they have a heart :L im hoping for both

If you have a clear container, put some babies in it, and look up at them from the bottom. You can actually see the heart beating. The heart is located between the front arms, closer to the throat. The red dot most people see is usually the liver.

If you have a clear container, put some babies in it, and look up at them from the bottom. You can actually see the heart beating. The heart is located between the front arms, closer to the throat. The red dot most people see is usually the liver.

Really?? I cant believe I havent looked at them from underneath. I must do it in the morning!! Maybe with my magnifying glass! ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back