Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi

xyz

Reaction score
Hi I'm kinda new here, I have an axolotl for months now and where I live it's kinda hot, my tanks temp is about 29 in the day time and lower at night time. I have a 10 gal tank and has a gravel substrate which I will be changing this Saturday, what do you prefer most when it comes to substrate, I dont like empty bottoms :)
any ways, I been reading much about axolotls in this site, keep it up, more power :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Aimzs Lotties

Reaction score
29degrees celsius is much too hot for axolotls. They get stressed at temps above 24degrees celsius.

Try some frozen water bottles to lower the temperature.

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Agreed 29 is WAY too hot

As for substrate I use a really thin layer of fine sand

Mandy6

Reaction score
You'll need to be vigilint in using frozen water bottles to cool the tank, fans can help as well. 29 is way too hot for the axie. If this kind of weather is common where you live you would be wise to invest in a chiller. They are expensive but they are the only real solution to keeping the tank cool in the long term, I know I will definetely need one by summer and I'm already saving and looking at prices!

As for substrate, sand is the best substrate. It wont clog up the axie, and left over food and poop wont get lost in any cracks in it.

xyz

Reaction score
i tried adding some fans and got my tmp nearly 24- 25, my axolotl dont seem to show some signs of stress, i live in a tropical country thats why the weather here is so hot.
ive been in a terrible accident and when i got out of the hospital i have a pet fire bellied newt, both died cause none of them have time to look over them :(
when i first heard about axolotls, i was so excited because i know that the wont survive in a tropical kind of weather, but seems they do, ill try to add some bottles and lower the temp, and thanks for the advice about substrate :)

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
If your tank temp persists at the level your axolotls will die... its cruel to keep them that hot. If this is common you NEED to invest in a chiller or rethink axolotls as a pet.

If your not up for the cost of keeping them then its best to rehome them somewhere that they'll be given the best care

xyz

Reaction score
now it's raining and my temp is dropping to about 23 - 24, my tank is kinda cold unlike most, chillers are mostly expensive here and im planning to get a reef fan almost like the chillers and about to add some floating plants to lessen to current that was made by the fans

Mandy6

Reaction score
Chillers are expensive here too, the fans will help but really if the heat is really common a chiller is the best way to go. The expense is worth having your axie around for the next 10+ years don't you think?

An axie kept at that high of tempretures long term will become stressed, ill and eventually die

If the reef fan works well that's good, but I would seriously consider saving up for a chiller =3

pookiewn

Reaction score
If you wrap a damp towel around the tank and blow a fan at that it should help with the cooling of the tank. It might be easier to maintain a lower temperature if you got a bigger tank too, technically the more water, the slower it heats up - but it takes longer to cool it down if it ever does get that hot again. Have you looked into second hand chillers? Could make it more affordable.
I have purple play sand on the bottom of my tank :happy:

yellowpebble

Reaction score
while you are saving for a chiller... keep the tank on the floor, it will be the coolest place, and out of direct sun. Keep the lid off the aquarium, put icy water bottles in it, blow fans at the surface to increase heat loss through evaporation, and wrap cold towls around it.

you need to drop the temperature asap.

xyz

Reaction score
thanks for all the help with the temp :) really appreciate it :) ill lower my temp and as for now, i tried removing the substrate and leave it clear till i have my sand, i love my axie you know and ill do my best for her :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!