Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Great news!

Red Eft14

Reaction score
My chinese fire belly newt had its leg bitten off by my red eft about a month or a month and a half ago and since then he has'nt eaten becuase of the pain,so the bone fell off and the womb is closed and looks wayyy healthier and I seperated him and put him in a 2.5 gallon with shallow water and moss and he seems to be climbing on the gold ribbon plants that I have in there and also he seems to be swimming in the water mosre often and is getting use to life with 3 legs :( and :happy: lol so as I said he still has'nt eaten and I will try to feed him so live black worms this week and he should take it since it seems that the pain has gotten away more.

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
I dont know if it will regrow but I got to agree with Janusz, congrats on mixing species that share same distributional area in wild. Maybe you could add a few Triturus cristatus too, why not:p

Red Eft14

Reaction score
lol I am guilty of mixing them but when I got them I just took them without haveing them in each diffrent tanks becuase in the petstore that I work at some guy gave in the red eft and I took it home becuase my store could'nt sell it becuase it's illegal since its native to NY(thats where I live lol) and when I came home that night my sister's friend had the fire belly and she had it with a green tree frog in the same enclosure so I had no choice so I took it becuase she couldnt keep it and I housed them in the same tank since Ifhad nothing else at the moment.But the tree frog was seperated right away though.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
For future reference, the toxicity of Notopthalmus should be enough to make you think twice about mixing species.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I think it is also illegal to possess the eft in NY since it's a native and there is no open season on them.

Red Eft14

Reaction score
yes it is illegal but I didnt go out there and catch it some guy gave it to me at my store and I couldnt sell it becuase then my store will get in trouble so I took it home,and it's not like aspca is gonna come in my house looking for a 2 inched newt and yet agian someone gave it to me and I took it becuase they knew nothing about its care and I tryed explaining it to the person about its care since he was'nt going upstate any time soon to release it so he just gave it up to me

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No!

Now that it's been housed with a foreign species, which is often imported in terrible conditions and full of illness, you can NOT release it into the wild. You will introduce non-native pathogens and could wipe out an entire population of salamanders. DO NOT RELEASE IT!

Red Eft14

Reaction score
I was thinking that because what you just said I read in a book.Then what I do with it since its illegal I didnt know when I got it till I did research.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If I were you, I would think about donating it to a local nature center or something like that.

Alternately, keep it and hope it doesn't get confiscated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!