Morphed axololt... being sold in a reptile shop

Boo Penguin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi guys... what do you think of this guy. Its listed as an ambystoma mexicanum, do you think its an actual axi morph? I just emailed the shop owner about it... but it does kinda look like an axi. I've been to his shop before and he sells other sorts of salamanders as well as frogs and spiders etc.

Last time I went though he had these little salamanders in Chinese food containers on the counter... they were cute but he wanted $150 each for them... the whole thing is looking kind of weird to me now that I've seen him selling this apparent morph.

Oh and here's the kicker... he wants $125 for this guy... yeh sure like thats going to happen

boo-penguin-albums-my-other-loves-picture16777-dscf2793.jpg

In Australia, could only be. I know some people who do morph them whilst they're juvies- ups survival to 100%, and I've been SO tempted to get one apart from the fact I'm out of room! Not that I really approve of the morphing, but from an educational point of view, VERY useful.

Lol dur... I forgot. In that case those other little salamanders I saw must have been axi morphs (they were so tiny and cute)... they looked really healthy. But very pricy

Hmm I wonder how they get them to morph... it might be interesting. Though also I don't really approve of morphing, I think axi's are lovely and perfect as they are.

If it was cheaper I might consider getting it... but soooooooooooo expensive.

Last edited:
*Looks around shiftily* My guy has them rather cheap...
And the process doesn't involve merely Iodine in case anyone was getting ideas....

*Looks around shiftily* My guy has them rather cheap...
And the process doesn't involve merely Iodine in case anyone was getting ideas....
Who is your guy?
Oh no ideas here... I love axi's as they are... can't go past those wonderful gills

I would report him to the RSPCA or the authorities, keeping and importing salamanders into australia is illegal in all states.

Really, Chris? I thought axies (As long as they were from Australian stock) were legal, and the morphs as they were essentially the same critter (Admittedly with a major internal overhaul....) were considered as well, with license...*Goes to google....*....Right, wasn't able to turn up anything relating specifically to axies (but then again, it's ten to midnight, and I'm dosed up on meds...), but I'm hoping someone else will have better luck than me...
(Boo, let me get back to you on that one!)

That is an axolotl. The long, thin toes distinguish it from a tiger salamander, who have sausage-toes.

Very interesting.. *Shiftily looks around* .. I have room..

Does the process hurt them? I would certainly want no part if they were put through pain for it!

Axolotls are legal in Australia, whether they are aquatic or morphed. Still the same species. I think people are forgetting it is not natural for Axolotls to morph, which in my mind is the main reason it should be avoided.

I think the axolotls that do morph naturally (which seem to be more prevalent in Australia than anywhere else) go through the process relatively pain, or stress, free. The ones that are forced to morph either through artificial chemical means or by neglect are probably stressed and do experience a moderate amount of pain or discomfort from the stress.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back