Question: Lethargic axolotl..

munchbunch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Katie
Hello everyone, I got two lovely juvenile leucistic axolotls yesterday, they came from the same batch and are about 2 inches long. They both seem to be feeding but one of them is very active swimming about whereas the other one isn't. I also noticed that the active one's gills are darker than the one who isn't.

Could this be due to him being ill or could he just have a docile nature? They're in a 19 gallon tank, I treated the water and i'm feeding them on blood worms and blood worm pellets. I'm also worried that it might be the temperature of the water - I don't have a thermometer but plan to buy one asap. I've only just got them but i'm in love with them and would hate for one of them to be ill already.

Thanks

Axolotls don't tend to move much unless they're feeding, so I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Have you cycled your tank and do you know the readings for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites? Water quality is likely to be a bigger indicator of potential health problems. If you Live in the UK, it's unlikely your water temp is going to go above 18-19 deg C. Blood worm is ok for juveniles, just make sure any uneaten ones get removed from the tank otherwise it's going to affect water quality.

I would just make sure you read as many threads and posts on here and on axolotl.org, that is how I understood their behaviour and also all the problems that can occur. I read every post and thread on this forum for the past year, and I still read as many as I can every day, as everyones problems are slightly different, but it also teaches you so much of what to expect in the future. No matter how prepared you are for any event, you still panic with every little problem, so talking to people here really helps, I am sure that every axie has a different personality, they eat at different times, and move differently, so I wouldnt worry at the moment, just keep an eye on water readings, water changes and how your babies look, gills are a big indicator, and keep up the good work, you are doing well!!

Yes i'm extremely glad I found this website! They're a lot more active now, I noticed that they seemed to be swaying about a bit when sitting still so I have lowered the intesity of the filter. They're both eating fine and are starting to get pigmentation now so hopefully soon they'll be no longer transparent! I haven't got readings for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates due to not having a test right now but it's my birthday soon so I plan to purchase one. One question I do have though is that if the water is cooler than the preferred temperature, is that bad? Because i've read about friding and it seems that the only bad temperature is one that is too hot.

Thanks for your help! :happy:

Fridging is part of treating an axolotl that's lost a limb or got fungus. It slows the axie down so energy can go into it regenerating a limb or recovering. They tend to stop eating when fridged so I'd imagine it's not good thing to do long term. A few degrees below 18/19 won't do much harm, the key is maintaining a constant temperature, as frequent fluctuations will stress the axolotl.

Ahh I see! That makes sense. The temperature of my room tends to be quite constant luckily! On an unrelated note, do you know the average age in which axies lose their transparency? As much as I love them being all see through and what not, they tend to blend in with the stones and it's hard to spot them somtimes. :wacko:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back