I think someone is playing with my emotions....

scooty16

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Scooty
Me again! I know your all fed up with me really ;)

Fed my axie a worm this morning. He seemed to enjoy it, then went absolutely bonkers, going upside down, spinning around. I panicked, got him into his recovery tub, where he wouldn't stop splashing about.

I put a towel over him to calm him down, but it didnt really work. Anyway, I did a 20% water change as I am going away for a few days and mum will look after him for me.

Anyway after I had changed the water and put him back in, he started behaving normally,walking about. Me and mum were watching him as I was worried then he walked up to the front of the tank and looked at as all like 'yeah hey guys, look at me, I'm pretty dashing right? Yeah I know your jealous!' Starting doing his faces he does when he wants food, and then!! THEN! he swam in his joined pots, through one hole and out the other,like he was showing off!

His now happily sitting in his half pot looking at me....

The question is: Can axie's mess with your emotions? :( because his worrying me constantly!!

Was the worm in his mouth when he started going bonkers? I gave mine a wriggly worm once and he/she started doing deathrolls, banging the worm off the floor and sides of tank, shaking it like mad etc. Then the worm poked him/her in the side of the head lol and gave it such a fright. Ate it eventually. I normally cut the worms up but this one was really little so decided to see what would happen.

Yeah it was still in his mouth I think but it wasn't poking out! Mine was doing death rolls too! I think I need to start cutting them in half! :p

Yeah, they do that sometimes. They shake to help them get it all in their mouth and help them to swallow the worm...

Parameters are the same as usual:

N03 - 40
N02 - 0
pH - 7.5
GH - 180
KH - 120
Ammonia - 0

and my 'recovery tub' is the tub I use for when he is unwell, or when I am changing water as he hates the flow when I am re-adding the water. So as not to stress him out I put him in the tub with a towel over while I change his water. He gets really stressed when I change the water, because he is so friendly he always swims over into the part of the tank I am in and therefore would get knocked by the flow. :(

I know the n03 is high, but Kaysie told me that anything 80 and above was seriously harmful. Kaysie and Johan also told me of some great plants I can put in to decrease the n03, so hoping to get them next week when I have spare money and the shop has them back in. :happy:

He seems alright now.

Even when I think the worm has gone as it isn't poking out their mouths it can still be in there and they hop about lol. :D

As for chaning the water....NIGHTMARE! They chase my hands and jump on me, snap at and chase my pipette, and when I change the water they climb the plants to get near the ice cream tub I use. I fill the tub with the new water, lower it into the tank, then I tip it slowly upside down underwater. I have had a fan on the water for a while now too and one of them likes to sit just in the ripples it makes near the top of the water, must be a nice cool flow :D

I think it would stress them more being handled and placed in a tub more than a brief moment of excess water flow

Bren

Well when I put the water in gently he still seems to dart about his tank and put his gills forward. I try not to handle at all as I know they have special slime coats which are delicate. I will try what Ash says and see if that de-stresses the situation any, but it also happens when I take the water out so I may purchase a siphon to empty some of the water. :rolleyes:

He looks and seems fit and healthy and even more so since feeding worms. The curling up and tilting into the middle of himself whilst in the curll, and dashing around his tank just worry me. :(

I'm going to try some organic worms aswell and see if that helps any.

Thanks for the comments guys, much apprieciated :happy:

Yeah I think I will definitely purchase a siphoning kit. I have a worm farm in my bedroom mcuh to my mums disgust :p she worries they are going to escape!

Going to purchase those organic worms and start an organic worm farm.:happy:

I'm lucky when it comes to worms, my parents have a huge garden with a equally huge veggie patch at the top and it is TEEMING with worms, I barely have to dig down. My dad isn't too impressed with all the little holes I have been digging lol but my axies love the worms that come outta that garden!!!! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back