Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Filter questions. UV or no UV

lea

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Im in the process of doing up another tank(it is taking ages by the way but we are almost there now) for my 2 axies and I am looking for a filter for the tank. All the filters I seem to find have UV cleaning it them is this ok for axies??? and The tank is 5ft(approx 500lt) so Im thinking I will need to get a 2000LPH filter(turn the water over 4 times in a hour) is this right???? Any advice would be great because I really dont know much about filters and the pet shops are giving mixed info(as they do).

thanks everyone
lea

carsona246

Reaction score
If the filter comes with a uv filter built in I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've never used a uv filter, but they're not essential, and really only work to kill the algae and bacteria blooms in your tank. I know some people have said that uv light is bad for axolotls, but if the uv filter is what I'm thinking it is, it should completely block all the light from your axolotls and shouldn't be harmful.

lea

Reaction score
thanks carson. The light is not visiable to the axie or me . It goes through the uv then through the filter(so ive been told). I have also heard that uv is not good for axies that is why i asked. Any idea about filter size I should be getting??? I have been given mixed advice(as they do from pet shops).....I have been told that the tank water should go through the filter once an hour and then I have also been told it should go through at least 7 times in the hour. What to do??:confused:

MereB

Reaction score
Standard filtration rates for tropical fish tanks is volume x4 per hour but as you may have noticed that creates a whole lot of water movement.

For my axie tanks I usually go with volume x2 per hour but it's up to you and you could certainly get the bigger filter if you find a killer way to divert the flow so it doesn't bother the axies. You won't be stressing the tank or filter with 2 axies in there, they don't make nearly enough mess ;) so twice should be fine.

I'm about to upgrade the filter on my 6ft to a 2000l/h but mine is pumping through a mountain of rock and gravel ;)

You don't need a uv light filter, the light will never get anywhere near your axie, it's just to kill bugs in the water that could make fish/axies sick within the filter as it passes through. It will kill all things living within the water and it's great in theory. I'd want to be 100% sure the light wasn't getting to my filter media before I go one though.
Just thinking out loud here now but If they hit the UV before the media it would make establishing a bacterial colony and cycling nearly impossible wouldn't it? If everything that went into the filter was dead before it got to the media.

lea

Reaction score
thanks mereb. What you said about the uv killing everything makes so much sense. I didnt even think of it like that(Im not very good with things like this). I was told I would need a 2000lph filter for my 5ft but I thought it would be too strong. Well Im off to go shopping for a new filter:D. I will put up some pictures when I get it set up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1