Illness/Sickness: Axolotl not eating

smily sam

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Sam
Well one of my axolotls is under the gills and not eating and its starting to show since he's geting very skinny:(. He hasn't eaten in a week or two and he hasn't eaten a worm in quite a few weeks.

Today I force fed him using the instructions on "how to force feed an axolotl" thread.

There are a few reasons I can think of that he may be not eating one is that the tank is quite hot for an axolotl at 21 degrees.

Sam:eek:

Hi Sam.

How big is your axolotl and what do you normally feed it?

He is ruthly 15cm and I normally feed them worms and magots but when I froce fed him just now I used fish flakes and turtle food, I also added some beef heart after to the tank.

Sam:eek:

edit: the worms are lob worm that I have at the moment funny they preferd red rigglers to lob I may get some of thoughs again, but I thought they tasted bitter to axies but mine always ate them even though I didn't soak them

Last edited:
:sad::cry: I just found him dead:( force feeding was to much for him:(
He was one of the two first axolotls I got, he was called Axle:(
He's in the big lake in the sky now:angel:

"snifle"
Sam:sad::cry:

Im sorry to read that your axie has died that is sad :sad:

Poor you!! And poor Axle!! Just know that you did the best you could for him and thats all any of us can do!! :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back