Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Advice for a newbie

Georgeypudding

Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a spare 3ft tank now and I have empty tank/cage syndrome, must fill it :p
The tank is 3ftx1ftx1ft which I'm hoping is big enough for atleast 1 axie :happy:
What I want to know is if any of the things it came with are any use for an axie set up (used to hold fresh water fishies I belive) or if I need to buy new things.
It came with :
fluval 3 filter with pads and replacement pads
Rena air 200 with tube and air stone
100w heater

It also has a tube light, not sure if axies need artificial lighting though?

TIA :D

Jossie

Reaction score
It is definitely big enough for one, and maybe two (I'd wait for someone else to confirm this, I'm no expert on tanks).

You don't need a light, they actually prefer darker places.

Aaran

Reaction score
That tank could hold up to 3 axies, they dont like light, and with your filter, any chance you can reduce the flow with a spray bar etc? axies dont like flow so a powerful filter will stress them, unless you buy a sponge filter off ebay and use the airpump,

axies also dont really need airstones, with the filter and water changes you will find that oxygenates the water plenty, not to mention that the axolotl has lungs, so it can always gulp air from the surface too :)

I wouldnt say you need a heater either, axolotls are cold water. I suppose if your tank drops to 10 degrees in the winter you could set it to 18 degrees and use it. But tbh im sure you put heating on in your house :D

Sand as a substrate or bare bottom is your best option too, Check out the axolotl.org website and also threads on here :)

anymore questions just ask :D

smily sam

Reaction score
In a tank that size you could fit a few axies.
The filter and the air pump you can use as filtration for an axolotl tank just make sure there isnt to much water movement with the filter, maybe add a spray bar or put the outlet against somthing maybe a large rock or ornament.
You do not need a heater for axolotls because they like cool tempertures between 16-18 degrees, anything under 10degrees celcius and they start to get slugish and anything above 21 and they start to get stressed.
lighting isnt nesesarry unless you have plants witch require it but if you get low light plants or plastic plants then you don't need any since axolotls prefer darker conditions.
for substrate I recomend sand, large pebbles bigger than a adult axolotls head(does trap dirt), because anything smaller isn't advised unless its under 5mm since axolotls can swallow gravelo and get impacted witch may lead to death, sand(can get gas traped in sand deeper than 1inch but easy to see dirt), slabs of slate and bare bottom no substrate (easy to clean but dosn't look as nice)

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1