Weird gill?

HeatherFeather

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, one of my babies has started developing one crazy gill. It is much bigger that the others (and has been a little bigger the entire time I've had him/her), and has this HUGE blood vessel in it so that it just looks like a club compared to the other gills. It also appears that the little filaments (or whatever those little fluffies on their gills are called) on the mutant large gills are barely existant, where the rest of her gills are shorter and smaller, but developing and fluffier. Is this normal? It just seems rather strange that it would develop one huge on this way. I have a fuzzy picture of it; I'll try to get a better one when I have better light. The big gill is the top one.

Attachments

• 100_3104.jpg
    100_3104.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 156
That is weird. I've never seen anything like that.

That is odd.

I know mine have short, really fluffy gills and one has a forked gill.. but nothing that odd!

As long as she seems fine, i wouldn't really worry..

Well, it doesn't seem to bother her, so I'm not too worried. The other gills are growing in fluffy, the one just looks awkward being much longer and bare. Ah well, a unique individual!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back