Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alaskan Axolotl needs help.

jojobean

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this forum. I joined initially in December because I had a sick axolotl and thought someone might know what was wrong. I had two axolotls for the last 13 years. I inherited them from a professor at the college that was doing some sort of genetics research. They have been happy and healthy for years. The albino died and I believe caused some strange growths in the the tank which infected the survivor. He was coated in fungus. I gave him salt baths and used a little bit of Melafix as I kept seeing the active ingredient melaleuca helpful in treatment of skin conditions. His skin did clear up.

Now 6 or so months later (and he has been eating well) I looked in tonight and he wasn't moving at all and his tail was curled very tight. I actually thought he had died. I moved him into fresher water and I see a clear, lightly tinged pink, sac extruding from his body, near where the tail meets the abodomen, with a pink fungus like object in the interior.

Thanks.

What should I do? Does this sound famililar to anyone? This is a crazy introduction I know but I do not know anyone with an axolotl. I live in Alaska and I don't have any resources to veterinarians or zoos or salamander experts.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like a cloacal prolapse.

What kind of substrate do you have?

Does it look like the pictures of prolapse here?

jojobean

Reaction score
Yes. It does look like a cloacal prolapse. Is there anything I can do to help?

jojobean

Reaction score
Also the substrate is small rocks - approximately 1/2" in length on average. Too big for the axolotl to ingest as far as I have noticed. It is new substrate since the first one died. They did ingest the older smaller stuff. Thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Unfortunately, 1/2" rocks are easily ingestible by an adult axolotl, but not so easily passed.

A prolapse is best treated by a veterinarian. They can remove the offending blockage, and then do what is called a purse suture to prevent future prolapses. Once a cloaca has prolapsed, they're highly prone to future prolapses.

A prolapse is a serious injury. Without reduction and treatment, your axolotl may die.

jojobean

Reaction score
Thanks to all that replied. Sadly, my axolotl of 13+ years died today. Just so I understand correctly, is the thinking that an ingested stone may have been the cause of the prolapsed cloaca? I do not know how old he was when I got him but I think he lived a long time. Again, thanks.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It was probably a swallowed stone. A necropsy or x-rays would tell you for sure.

But if you had him for 13 years, that's already a good run for an axolotl. I'm sorry for your loss. It's always hard when we lose a member of the family.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!