Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi all!

axiebry

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm Bryony, its great to meet you all! :)

I've come across this site several times in the past, especially while doing research about axolotls, and I'm seriously impressed! Everyone is so nice and helpful, and it is a great site.

I share my home with many adorable companions: my cat Chevy, rabbit Leo, gerbils Dusty and Nibbler, snakes Sid and Tetley, and the newest additions, axolotls Gary and Taco.

Sid was brought from a work colleague of my mother's. It was quite sad really. His teenage son kept Sid in his bedroom, but grew bored of him and sold Sid, the vivarium and everything, so we've taken him in and my family loves him.
Tetley was quite a suprise. My parents had gone out for a couple of hours, not saying where they had gone and next thing I know they get home with a little baby Carolina corn snake!

Gary and Taco are my babies: I feed them, clean them out, generally look after them. I remember seeing a picture of an Axolotl on google in school a few years back, and I always wanted one since. Dad finally agreed now that I have left school and are more responsible that I could have one, and next thing I know he came home with two babies, a wildtype and a leucistic. There was a breeder advertising them on ebay, she had two lots hatch at once and was desperate to get rid of them to good homes! Apparently there were plastic tubs full of little axies everywhere in her house!

I adore animals, and are particularly interested in reptiles and amphibians. I am going off to college soon to study animal care, and I cannot wait! The college has a full reptile house with snakes, lizards, frogs, everything! I hope there are axies too! I'm so excited!

So, there's a bit about me and my babies :D I'd love to hear all about you guys! :)

mewsie

Reaction score
Awwww - you have lovely parents! And good taste in pets names ;)

Huge welcome to the forum Bryony. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1