Breeding Kweichow crocs???

frogman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Evan
I just got 4 crocodile newts and i am keeping them in a 20 gallon long tank that is 3/4 water and 1/4 land. The water is filtered and there are some plants in the water for eggs to be produced onto. It is a non-heat bulb for the light. What are my odds of getting the right amount of males and females to get them to breed. Here are some pics of the tank.

Attachments

• CIMG3947.jpg
    CIMG3947.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 244
  • CIMG3944.jpg
    CIMG3944.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 263
  • CIMG3945.jpg
    CIMG3945.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 283
  • CIMG3943.jpg
    CIMG3943.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 189
  • CIMG3939.jpg
    CIMG3939.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 257
  • CIMG3942.jpg
    CIMG3942.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 186
  • CIMG3941.jpg
    CIMG3941.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 199
Although some refinement is needed (IMO), the setup looks pretty good.

First off I would add more hides/vegetation to the land area. This will give your kweichs a change to de-stress and get away. Once they become more acclimated, you can take some away to increase visibility (if the newts hang outside of them more). I would also add more hides/vegetation to the water side as well considering the water depth. The turtle island is a small bit of concern for me. Although kweich newts are pretty savvy in the water, this being the only point of haul out, if the suction cups drop (when not if) it might present a problem.

From what I understand, kweich do not lay much (if any) of their eggs completely submerged but more on things just above/below the water's surface. There are a couple of old threads that discuss this. I think creating more of a shoreline with some plants would create a better breeding atmosphere.

As far as odds? With four newts the chances are fairly good you have at least one of each sex. As long as make sure the newts are healthy and happy, they will take care of the rest.

Hopefully this helps. With all the above please remember that this species is kept many different ways with success, it is the newts (and their health) that ultimately decides the setup.

I am also making some assumtions when I provided this information, make sure you tailor to their current needs and not necessarily what you want/hope to get.

Good Luck! These are fantastic newts!

BTW, any pics of the newts?

The newts arrive tomorrow. I bought them from reptile city. I will add more plants in the water. and on land. What do you mean by more of a shoreline. I could take out the turtle dock if needed. This is my first breeding project. Do you have pictures of the the shoreline. I will post pictures as soon as possible.

Do you know if the newts are related? Usually not a good idea to inbreed animals.

I just went up and changed the tank. Here are some pics of more plants in water and on land. Still no shore line. I could also move them into this other 20 gallon tank withe water and some plants. It was going to be for a tadpole but i changed my mind. I could ad more plants, easy access land, and the filter.

I am almost sure they are not related. The store keeps them in huge ponds in warehouses. They keep them in the hundreds. Here are the pics. The last two pics are of the other optional tank.

Attachments

• CIMG3949.jpg
    CIMG3949.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 182
  • CIMG3950.jpg
    CIMG3950.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 147
  • CIMG3956.jpg
    CIMG3956.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 164
  • CIMG3955.jpg
    CIMG3955.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 176
  • CIMG3957.jpg
    CIMG3957.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 629
  • CIMG3959.jpg
    CIMG3959.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 160
  • CIMG3958.jpg
    CIMG3958.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 159
The "shoreline" I am describing is simply a easy transition from the water area to the land area. Usually a gently slope with a generous amount of plants that extend through both parts. You can use many different things to achieve this.

These are WC adults that you are receiving. I would use extreme caution with these newts, quarantine them for observation for a while before introducing them to the setup.

Please view the following article. (Great info)

Caudata Culture Articles - Quarantine and Disinfection

Be patient and take good care of them. They will be extremely stressed so keep them in a clean, cool, dark place.

Mitch

I have received other animals from them. A marbled salamander. she is in great health. I am pretty sure they are not wild caught. The hundreds might have been a bit exatured.

Attachments

• CIMG1501.jpg
    CIMG1501.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 181
  • CIMG1102.jpg
    CIMG1102.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 219
  • CIMG1208.JPG
    CIMG1208.JPG
    241 KB · Views: 190
I have made a shore line from many floating plants bunched together were the newts will be getting in and out.

If they've got any more than a handful, they're probably wildcaught. In addition, I'll guarantee your tigers and your marbled salamander are wildcaught as well.

Most people who have captive-breeding projects going on don't sell their adults. They breed their adults, and sell the offspring. If people are selling massive numbers of adults, you can be sure they're wild-caught.

Last edited:
I do believe that. The Tigers I bought from a pet store. There was only two. And they are Juveniles. The owner said they were captive bred.

Would this make a good shoreline?

Attachments

• CIMG3963.jpg
    CIMG3963.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 174
  • CIMG3960.jpg
    CIMG3960.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 155
  • CIMG3961.jpg
    CIMG3961.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 158
Would this make a good shore line. Also, what my odds of getting a breeding pair when i am getting four, (wild caught), adult, non related, kweichows in a 20 gallon tank set up the way I have it.

Do i have to do any sort of cooling or humid climates to get them to breed.

Petshop owners/workers tend to have the credibility of a worm. I´ve heard them say "sure, it´s captive bred", refering to obviously WC animals, so many times before i now laugh when it happens...it´s just sad. They have no idea where the animals come from, they have no idea how to care for them and they don´t hesitate to lie to make a sale. Of course this is a generalization, and it´s not always the case, but it happens frequently enough to be disturbing.
Tiger salamanders are bred so rarely that you can be sure that no pet-shop tiger salamander that doesn´t cost a fortune, comes from a breeder. On the very rare occasions when they are actually bred, they are not offered to the public through pet-shops, you can bet on that...
I agree with Kaysie the kweichos are most likely WC, too. If they have significant quantities and they are adults, they are WC for sure. This species has become quite common in the trade lately...a pitty, because they are not treated right....

By the way, you should consider getting rid of the gravel, it´s an impactation hazard, plus it traps huge amounts of debris and makes feeding more difficult. Using live plants would also be very benefitial. Plastic ones are fine too, of course, but you are missing out on the advantages of having live plants doing maintenance work for you.

Last edited:
Would they be more likely to breed if i tool out the gravel and got real plants?

Well...no. Breeding requires other triggers. However, not using gravel and using live plants will make maintaining water quality easier, which in turn will make the water more suitable for them to use. Inapropriate water quality can keep any newt from using the water.
You should really be thinking about how to care for them the best you can rather than about breeding. Breeding will come once you get the knack of taking care of them, and once they have had the opportunity to have the necessary hormonal cycle (they won´t just breed out of the blue).

What do you do to trigger breeding?

I Agreed with the above members. It gives the idea you dont even know how to keep them well enough so my advice is the same. Care for them in first place then think about breeding. You're also late for breeding and if you got them this year or in the end of 2010 it will take at least one year off good treats, good cycles and good food for them to breed for you in future.
Gravel is one of the most basic rules of what NOT to use. And still you missed that point. I wont talk about life plants, but surely the live ones are much better there is no doubt.
There are always rules and priorities they aren't workers of a factory that produces offspring for you. Most of all they are beings and shall be respected and not irresponsibly mistreated. Hope you get to see the point we brought here.
Cheers,
Jorge

Last edited:
Could I use sand? I am new to keeping Tylototriton. Sorry about sounding so stupid. I have picked very poorly on a first breeding project. This is actually my first aquatic caudata that i have ever had.

My apologies.

Frogman

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back