Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Confirm species please!

Mrpk86

Reaction score
So these are the little guys I found on my pool cover while we were getting it off the pool. Had them for about a month now. Final count is around 68. It was 69 but one I guess was fully morphed and he was being attacked by a bigger one so I put him in his own bucket to recover. When I got up this morning he was gone... I found him but I wont go into details because it's really sad. Anyway, there are a few that have very little gills left and one that I can't see any gills left. So I was hoping I could confirm their species. When I first posted pics I got the feedback that they are -probably- Long-Toed Salamanders. Since the ones that have morphed or are close to morphing are smaller than some that still have a lot of gills, I'm a bit worried I have two species. Since the heartbreaking incident of the attack and his death, I've seperated them. All the really small ones have their own tub, the big ones with lots of gills have their own tub and the ones about the morph have their own tub with netting tied around it so they can't escape. Otherwise they are doing good. I just hope they all morph before I have to move at the end of Aug so I can let them go.

Attachments

• P7040007.jpg
    P7040007.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 205
  • P7050008.jpg
    P7050008.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 219
  • P7050014.jpg
    P7050014.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 199

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They are indeed long-toed salamanders. The yellow 'racing stripe' is a good indicator, as well as their extra-long toes!

The ones that are getting close to morphing, I would put their setup outside in a cool, shady area and let them morph and move off on their own.

Good luck with the rest them!

Mrpk86

Reaction score
Thank you. And that's a good idea, I might try that. Still trying to decide if I want to keep a couple cuz they are just so cute.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I used to have a couple of these guys. They make great pets. I think they're adorable.

Mrpk86

Reaction score
They are cute and pretty. Some of them are still very small and I can tell it's going to take them a lot longer than the other ones. Fortunately there are only about 3 that small, so if they haven't grown before I move I can take them with me for pets. I let 21 of them leave on their own accord by putting them outside and I haven't found a single one in the pool yet. I wish them luck. I did the best I could for them. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1